Video Game Music

Forte

:o I didn't know where else to post this....

Not that I want to do this as a serious career (at least I don't think so), but I'm interested in making video game music. This game I'm playing is taking submissions and I think it would be fun if I sent something. So anyway, I was wondering if you can point me towards some resources. I searched the boards and didn't really come up with anything on how. I have recorded stuff using my guitar and what not, but I think maybe using MIDI's would be the best approach... something I know nothing about. :(. So, can anyone tell me what software I can use? Where I can get it? Free would be good. :D How about any tutorials?

Ack... I just realized that even though I searched the boards, I didn't search the web... I'll look now, but if you can offer me something please do. :D

Yeah thanks, I saw that when I was searching the boards, but it doesn't really tell you how to do it and what you need... does it? I didn't see anything, plus I didn't want to register. The last thing I need is more spam. Also, this site looks like it's more career oriented.

What are you looking for? What they want is music and what you need is a home studio. That site has job postings and an area for contractors to post their resumes. The only spam I received from them is their mailer with current job postings.

Well, for one thing, I'm not interested in a career. This is more like a hobby I want to try. I'd like to know how they make it though. What software and hardware different people use. Originally, I though about going with MIDIs (something I know nothing about), but then I thought maybe synths would be the way to go. The thing is, I have no clue on how those things work and how to record them via my computer. I record more organic types of music using "real" instruments, but I want the "beeps whistles" sound of the SNES. Is there any place with tutorials and articles - kind of like a video game music version of HomeRecording.com. GamaSutra had the "audio profiles", but that didn't seem like it would have helped much - I didn't get to really see because it asked to register. I'll see if I can make up a fake addy or something so I can take a closer look.

You should be able to find all the info you need to get started on recording and midi here. MIDI is not bleeps and bings. It is just a way of controlling any synth or sound module.

What is the game? If they are taking submissions as part of a contest than they probably say what format they want the music in.

Game music is no different than any other type of music. They are simply playing back a sound file at the appropriate time. In the old days there was a lot of crap involved with onboard synth chips and midi files and such but nowadays they just play audio files like everything else. Unless this music is for a portable game device like a GameBoy there shouldn't be anything technically specific that you have to worry about. Just send them a CD or whatever they want of your best tune.

Check out the midi forum for some midi starter help.

HAH HAH HAH HAH! I'm so dumb! See, I guess I ment electronic music. Like using, synths and all that. Ke ke ke ke. I guess I shouldn't have called that "video game music", but to me, that's what it sounds like :p. So, what I ment was that I wanted to learn how to make electronic music, or just regular music using synths. I figure that's what you have to do when you don't have an orchestra, eh? I guess I'll make a new thread with that as the subject.

:rolleyes: Dude, you're killing me.

Check out the keyboard and midi forums. You might want to read up a bit before posting there ;)

Hah hah hah! Sorry. I looked but they weren't much help - I'll keep looking. I just wanted to create fully orchestrated music... but I don't have an orchestra! I guess since video game people do it.... Anyway I'll have to find a forum on using synths and making electronic music (is that what it's called?).

Forte said:
Hah hah hah! Sorry. I looked but they weren't much help - I'll keep looking. I just wanted to create fully orchestrated music...
That's what the keyboard and MIDI forums are all about. You just need a keyboard and a sequencer and you're all set.

Woohoo! Wait... keyboards do that...? :confused:
LOL, Alright cool! Thanks! I found a forum that has a section on electronic music though. It's pretty small, but nice. I'll look into the keyboards and MIDI forums here though. Thanks again. :D

Hold on, there's still something missing here. You did mention in your first post about a game that's accepting submissions. Is this actually for a game? What game system?

The only reason I keep this going is because I do some audio work on video games and I can help you but also this is the strangest thread I have seen in a while ;)

Ke ke ke. Yeah it's actually for a game, but it's an online game. It's an ongoing project though. You make music for games? What do you use? Keyboards, sequencers and MIDI's???

I'm actually doing sound effects but it's basically the same process. I'm assuming now it's for a PC game. Most PC games use .wav or .mp3 files and that is pretty much the same format as all computer recording. If you have a way of recording on a computer than you are all set.

Check out the front page of this site and scroll down. There are some good tutorials on the basics of computer recording.

Oh I already record on my computer - I make lots of MP3's. The thing is though... all I've got is a computer and the stuff it came with - that and a couple of instruments. Needless to say, I get pretty bad sounding results, but at least they're intelligible. Anyway, that's why I'm here. :D I've already learned quite a bit, but I'm still exploring the boards so I know more of what I need. That's for another thread though.
As for the purpose of this thread, I play several instruments and have recorded them on my computer, but I've never dealt with electronic music. So I don't know the first thing about making fully orchestrated music using synths or whatever.

Looking at making some electronic music? Here's some nice programs or ideas...

FruityLoops - Killer for making any sort of electronic music, whether remixing, creating your own loops, sampling, whatnot... Bomb-diggity for sure.

Digitonix Element - This is a drum loop program... I'm a medocre drummer, but I could come up with my own phat drum tracks no problem on this thing... It exports to MIDI, but so far I've found it exports a bit funny... I'm hoping that in the purchase version it offers an .MP3 export feature. But it's nice and comes with some great samples, too!

Propellerhead Rebirth - Buddy of mine just got this, said it was SIIIICK! Very cool program, check it out.

Cakewalk Reason - at least I *think* it's made by Cakewalk... Too lazy to Google it. heh. But it's a nice one from all i've heard, too...

Good stuff... If you're looking for a good keyboard for under $500... I suggest, heh, oddly enough, the Radio Shack 42-4046. $399 normally, ever few months goes down to $349. It's awesome, for sure. Tons of features, including a built-in sequencer. Give it a whirl.

Just some ideas.

Back