A very frustrated musician. (Particularly need help with recording lead guitar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. Just like I asked the piano tuner to watch the meters, do so yourself. Then come back and claim I'm a troll. ha

I'm sticking with what works and what sounds good, not what some borderline illiterate doofus on the internet says to do. And yeah, you're still a troll, but you generate posts flaming you, so you're safe. They're scared to ban you.

That's why I try to desperately make people understand that they are all wrong.

Wrong in what way and about what?
You're constantly stating the obvious....everyone already knows that the 12-TET octave is not perfect. Piano tuners "stretch" the tuning to make it sound best.

However...that has NOTHING to do with the A=440 reference.
Why are you not seeing that or intentionally ignoring it and implyng it's the 440 reference that is the problem...???

Using any A=reference with the 12-TET tuning will have the SAME tuning issues that you're going on and on about....the intervals do NOT change just because you use something other than 440 for the A=reference.

So MW, what's your anwser to my question...?....you kinda dodged it.

About tuning, I don't know if it is just me (I am a guitarist) but personally I hate electronic tuners. I already had a few ones but without an exception they will end at the bottom of some drawer full of useless stuff. The case is that after to tune the guitar I normally play a major E or G to check the result. And when I do that with an electronic tuner it always seems to me that there is something wrong.

Instead, I prefer to tune it 'by ear': I start by matching the 5th string (A) of my guitar with the 440Hz A of a computer keyboard. Then I tune the other strings by matching them with the 5th string. Normally the approach I use is to tap the harmonics of the 5th and 7th frets and adjust the string tuner until the harmonics stop to modulate to each other. Then at the end I play the major E or G and invariably it sounds good to me.

It's me or someone else has this same impression?

:rolleyes:

Tuners are precise...so they offer no forgiveness nor do they account for the natural "personality" of every instrument. IOW, not every perfectly tuned guitar will sound equally "sweet" when you play chords.

Tuning by ear is OK, and then going from string to string....though any small imperfections end up getting carried over from string to string, and possibly compounded. So when you have to record a variety of instruments & voices...having a single reference is IMO the ideal way to go, and that's what a tuner does for you.

What I do is tune each string with a virtual strobe tuner, but then I'll play some chords at a few points and make some minor adjustments so the tuning not only measures up to the strobe tuner, but it also fits the specific guitar I am using.
The other thing....if you use a precise tuner to set your intonation, you are more likely to have sweet sounding chords when also tuning with the tuner.

Anyway...whatever method you use, if the tuning ends up working for you, and you can play along with other instruments and everything sounds sweet....then stick with your method.

I have to say, I've heard far to many mixes around here where guitars are clearly out of tune...and the person never noticed it, so I'm starting to believe that some people are just less sensitive to out-of-tune stuff, and they don't notice minor pitch issues.

Sounds like you have sensitive ears.

Not to mention....if you use A=440Hz, then your guitars will sound that much more out-of-tune than if you use some other reference. ;) :p :facepalm:

I am curious since I dont know.... What meters? Insert where?

You can just check the output meter when you play the sine wave of tones from the 440 Hz equal temperament scale. You will then notice that the meters can't stay still when you play chords, it will jump up and down due to the modulation noise from the tones being out of tune. If you change from sine to triangle shape the noise will be heard even more. The standard 440 Hz equal temperament is simply out of tune.

So MW, what's your anwser to my question...?....you kinda dodged it.

What I mean is that people that think the standard 440 Hz equal temperament scale is in tune, have not checked whether that's really the case. Because the intervals between the tones are wrong, the scale ends up out of tune. Why I am mentioning the standard 440 Hz equal temperament scale so much is because it is by far the most popular tuning, used in a lot of keyboards, synths, samples.

What I recommend is that you take a few steps back and ask yourself this question: Let's face it, at the end of the day how in tune are my productions really?!

If you are not sure about this and want to notice a possible improvement, try to tune your stringed instruments very carefully by ear and don't record any key based instruments. That might give you a glimpse into sweeter sound and give you a greater understanding about why the tuning is so important to a great sound.

I can't take it anymore.

Take a few days off MW.

It is not good for anyone to completely derail a thread created by another member. Especially in the Newbie forum.

Please keep your personal strange information/supposed knowledge out of this forum from here on out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back