Which version of Pro Tools for Windows 8 ~ or should I get Reaper instead?

Rlandes714

I want to get REALLY good at home recording and mastering now. I'm committed to learning, and I'm willing to put in hours of groundwork studying.

Basically, I'm in love with the productions of Terry Date (White Pony by Deftones and Sempiternal by BMTH) as well as Ken Andrews of Failure fame, and I will do whatever it takes to pick up that sort of quality.

I know mastering can't really be done quite like it can be in a mastering facility, but I want to come as close as possible, and I want to use the software that will, ultimately, give me the ability to learn how to, eventually, reach those heights. (or come close at least...)

So...ultimately...I want to save money, but I know I have to choose what's best for my ultimate goals and standards.

So,please advise however any of you wish - thank you!

What sort of experience do you have so far? I could tell you about some things, but I don't know if it will be useful information to you. I guess my first question is, are you comfortable using any recording software yet?

Choosing between PT and Reaper is probably the least of your concerns. Both will deliver high quality results . . . so long as everything else is in place: the performance, the acoustic environment, the recording signal path, and the skills, abilities and experience of the person.

Pick one and run with it. Both will do the job.

If money is an issue, get Reaper.

Any professional recording software you buy is going to have a learning curve and sufficient capability for you.

Don't let the fact that there are a thousand things you in the UI can do distract you from the fact that there are probably only five or six things you really have to know how to do to to get a song done.

As for deciding what to bring home, some have suites of plugins or soft synths that you might find attractive. One might have a better UI than another. Most all sound great these days. I use Sonar and get excellent results. Others use PT. Reaper is a pretty stripped down UI and may not play nice with all your plugs, but it costs nothing to try and you can run it from a usb stick. :thumbs up:

I have experience using the basic recording functions of pro-tools, but none with production, post production, plug ins and so forth. I used a stripped down version of pro tools actually, non upgraded.

Anyhow, leaning towards Reaper.

I might look into Sonar though.

Btw...just gave it a listen - Purple Circles sounds pretty great...sounds like some weird mix of 80s college rock, 60s jangle pop, and 90s radio rock...

Back