Ventilation System for DIY vocal booth

Shoulderpain

Hi,

Was wondering what type, brand, model of ventilation fan people recommend for home made vocal booths. :confused: Do you use bathroom exhaust fans? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ventilation for a vocal booth is going to be a very large, high-volume, low speed setup. Not a bathroom fan (ever listen to one of those...?).

I'd look at a big air duct and have the exhaust fan (as big and quiet as possible, I guess this means low RPM) on the other end of the duct moved as far away from the mic as you can.

Distance for sure -- The air handler for this room is 25' away down 50' of insulated flexible (and very flexed) ducting. And as quiet as it is, I can still hear that fan just fine. Not a huge deal in here - But it'd certainly suck if there was a live mic in the room...

Exchanger...

Heres mine...it's not in a vocal booth but its used in my live room to quickly clear the air in between takes as needed. Down and dirty $80 Home depot. I made the box out of 1/2" pre-finished birch ply. I recently painted the grill flat black with Krylon "plastics paint" it exhausts into my old furnace vent and up thru the chimney.

Thanks,
Scott.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,289
Great advice

Thank you. The vocal/guitar booth I am making is about 3 1/2 feet by almost 4 feet and my aim is to make it very sound proof so I can practice at night.

So I need airflow in (and possibly exhaust out?). I don't want my sound to jailbreak out, so I imagine I'll build an insulated sound proof box, pile in several folds of insulated flexible ducting that start with my fan.

Question is, what brand, model of fan.

Scott - That looks like a bathroom fan. Is it and if so what is the sound rating on it?

Scott - That looks like a bathroom fan. Is it and if so what is the sound rating on it?

Yes...It is a bathroom fan, it's a "NuTone" Exhaust fan actually, I think it's 1.5 Sones moving 80CFM's. It's quiet, and I definitely wont have it on when tracking or mixing, but it wouldn't be a problem if I was just rehearsing my band.
Good luck!
Scott.

Heres mine...it's not in a vocal booth but its used in my live room to quickly clear the air in between takes as needed. Down and dirty $80 Home depot. I made the box out of 1/2" pre-finished birch ply. I recently painted the grill flat black with Krylon "plastics paint" it exhausts into my old furnace vent and up thru the chimney.

Thanks,
Scott.

attachment.php

You should never use a chimney for ventilation purposes. There is the hazard of carbon monoxide poisoning from fumes backing up through the fan when it is not running.

I hope you DO NOT have a furnace or other combustible exhaust producing appliance currently utilizing that chimney. If you do then immediately remove that fan from the chimney and seal up the hole and use another means to vent it to the outside. You can cut a 4" dryer vent into the rim joist and vent it that way but really 80 CFM's is doing practically nothing for that space.

You should never use a chimney for ventilation purposes. There is the hazard of carbon monoxide poisoning from fumes backing up through the fan when it is not running.

I hope you DO NOT have a furnace or other combustible exhaust producing appliance currently utilizing that chimney. If you do then immediately remove that fan from the chimney and seal up the hole and use another means to vent it to the outside. You can cut a 4" dryer vent into the rim joist and vent it that way but really 80 CFM's is doing practically nothing for that space.

Good looking out!
The chimney is not in use and the liner is brand spankin new. Our new furnace is Natural Gas and that unit has it's own intake and exhaust in another location in the house.

Also, the fan does a fine job, otherwise it wouldn't be there. The function I need is to exchange air from my not so smoke free studio, during break times. ;)

Here's some more pics of my recent studio/rehearsal space build.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/album.php?albumid=78

Rock on!
Scott.

That's good. Even if you knew that, I wanted to make others aware that would not consider that to be a danger since you didn't clearly state that it was abandoned and not in use for a current furnace. Safety first.

Your buildout is great by the way. Green is my favorite color. :D

That's good. Even if you knew that, I wanted to make others aware that would not consider that to be a danger since you didn't clearly state that it was abandoned and not in use for a current furnace. Safety first.

Your buildout is great by the way. Green is my favorite color. :D

Very good point, respect to that, friend. And Thanks!:D
Scott.

Back