Usually how many guitar track should I record in one song?

For exemple if I'will make a cover song of In Flames - Only for the weak, how many should I record?

I just listened to your example; you need to record about 8 guitar tracks. You have to figure out what they are and where to put them, but I can definitely hear 8 guits, not including the bass.

Now... go get em.

The answer to pretty much every one of your questions is "Try it and see if it works". It's really that simple. This isn't Pain-by-numbers. There is no definitive answer to any of your questions.

Sometimes it IS pain by numbers...My left knee is about a 5. My right, maybe 7. Elbows are pretty equal at 4, but my neck is running about 9. :)

I don't expect, that you say, I must have 4 guitar track, and panning is always 100% left n right. But I expect, that you share your experience with me, what works for you.

There is no definite answer to a question like this. Every persons on this site would probably pan 4 guitars differently to each other, panning to taste and how they hear it and believe it should sound. If you think someone is going to say, record 5 guitars and pan them all X% to achieve a certain sound, you'll be waiting a long time. It wont happen. You could record the guitar track and offer them to be be mixed by people here and you can bet that each person who mixes it will pan them differently.

The international motto of the home studio musician should be "Just try it". If you here thinking so, than for what is this site?

Just record the guitars and try it. If you're going for an exact copy of the original, listen to the original, record your tracks, cross reference the two, pan accordingly. RAMI is right that "Just try it" should be the motto but I would add, "and use your ears". Pan %'s mean nothing to anyone but the person using the control. Use your ears. If you can't yet, "Just try it", keep on trying and learn to use your ears.

:thumbs up:

For exemple if I'will make a cover song of In Flames - Only for the weak, how many should I record?
In guitarpro file is 3 tracks for guitars, but the Pan is in the center, I think this is wrong, or? The rythm guitar are in 100% left, and the 2nd 100% right, or maybe 95-95.
But both rythm guitar has a solos, and it's will sound bad, if the pan are 100% left or right. I mean, in the left speaker will be only the solo, and in the right speaker only the rythm.
In the original song, you can hear both guitar, solo and rythm to, in both speaker in the same time.
Can help me someone? (if you understand what i mean :))

9 tracks for the rhythm, and the lead is 27 tracks performed exactly the same. You will know if you are on the right track if, after the 23rd lead, a UFO lands on your roof. This happens because the frequencies in the 23 tracks which don't cancel each other out form "celestial frequencies" that defy known physics laws and can be heard in other galaxies. Come back when you reach this point and we'll be able to fine tune your efforts.

I keep reading this thread and I would like to know how many, best I can tell, consensus is running about 8 and then bass. Which sounds like a good number, unless you want to do a heavy lead, then it is between 27 and 32+ and you stop when a UFO lands or the band UFO, whichever comes first.

I'm just learning here man. :thumbs up: (stealing the Clean man's sig)

edit: I didn't read all 5 pages, but it looks like a lot of this was said already...oh well - usually the middle pages of these threads are about food...or cats...lol

I just listened to your example; you need to record about 8 guitar tracks. You have to figure out what they are and where to put them, but I can definitely hear 8 guits, not including the bass.

Now... go get em.

I just listened, too (had to find my CD...haven't played an actual CD in years), and I agree - there's about 6-8 different guitar parts discernible throughout that song at several points. There might even be more than that around 3:20 - there's at least 2 distinct rythm parts on each side, and....I dunno - a lot of 3rds, 5ths and octaves harmonizing all over the place on that little solo part for a few seconds there. Some of it might be production trickery, but I seriously doubt it since actually recording them all would sound better and take less time. So that probably translates to around 12 to 32ish tracks being used on the guitar bus(es), given a conservative (IMO) guess of 2-4 per part with various guitars/mics/amps/techniques to make the final tones.

how many should I record?

mjbphotos nailed it in the first response in the thread. Short answer really is "As many as it takes"....and it will take a lot compared to recording pretty much anything else there is...

As for that song, specifically: I'd say a good guess of how many guitar tracks were recorded is about 2-4 times the number that are used in any metal project, so given the above numbers, I'd guess that after tracking and before mixing there were between 30-130 guitar tracks in the project. Again... "as many as it takes" is just dead-on. And overshooting how many it takes is way better than the opposite. It's basically trivial to keep recording takes/stacks while you're setup to do that, and with a streamlined environment it would only take a few hours to get that number of tracks recorded. Of course "a streamlined environment" is not exactly trivial....

Hi venndi,
Hey I'm new to this forum, but not new to recording. I hear your question as: how might I achieve a similar guitar sound to what I am hearing inn this song (in flames)?

If that is what you are asking, I would suggest panning your rhythm guitars roughly 85-95% right and left (probably closer to 95%), and your lead guitars about 55 and 60-65% right. Keeping a small amount of separation between the lead parts can help each part retain more clarity. That said, it sounds to me as though, in the original, both leads were panned pretty close to each other.

I listened to the song, but wasn't near my Studio, so my audition was not a critical listen (I'm only slightly familiar with the system I listened on). Also this type of music ids not one I listen to often.
However that is how it sounded to my ears.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Back