Using S/PDIF as additional input

jords

How much quality is lost if I use the S/PDIF connection on an interface as an additional input, for example from a mixing desk with all tom mics bounced together.

S/PDIF is a stereo digital input.
This means that the interface preamps, circuitry, and converters are bypassed and the signal quality is entirely dependent on the source equipment.

Your mixing desk needs to have a stereo digital (spdif) output with separate routing options for that outputs.
I doubt you have that, but who knows. :)

What mixer do you have?

Thanks for helping, have done a bit more research and think what I actually need is a 2 channel preamp with S/PDF output and a coaxial cable. Would this be the way to get 2 extra inputs?

Thanks for helping, have done a bit more research and think what I actually need is a 2 channel preamp with S/PDF output and a coaxial cable. Would this be the way to get 2 extra inputs?

Yep. I used a ART DPSII for years as digital output preamp via spdif (with Tascam US1800). Still use it for extra scratch tracks via ADAT interface now.

I would consider that preamp 'ok' sounding. Not a big fan of the starved plate tube thing, but used clean, it is as good as most included with interfaces preamps in the $2-400 range IMO.

What interface are you using now?

Have an mbox 3 pro. What are the preamps in the mbox like compared with the art dps 2? (looking at one on ebay)
Also, I have noticed in the photo there is only 1 S/PDIF output on the art dps 2. Does this mean I would only gain 1 additional output? And would the two mics going to the preamp record to the same track? Or does the coaxial cable split the signal from the single output of the preamp into channel 1(left) and channel 2(right)?

Last edited:
The single S/PDIF port is stereo (dual output). If you pan hard right and left, you will have 2 outs.

Heh, that sounded standoffish. I was a bit busy there, hence the short answer. :)

The panning thing is often the case, to be fair.

Here's how I do it. Close mics into a 2488 out to an MAudio via SPDIF. Overhead mics into the MAudio XLR. All that goes into the PC via USB.

This works but once the kit is recorded there is little to no flexibility with the mix. I have recorded the drums on the 2488 and transferred the waves but since I suck at drumming I never do that.

Attachments

• Manslicks Mixer.png
    Manslicks Mixer.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 34

Yeah, You've pretty much got two options.

A two channel pre will (obviously) give you two channels. Ie, two mics.
If that's enough to cover your toms then that's fine.
They will, of course, be discreet so it's just the same as having two extra channels on your interface.

If you go the other road that you mentioned in your original post then Manslick has you covered with that image.
This is only really worth doing if you intend to use (and sum) more than two microphones as he's doing.
Unlike with discreet inputs, this setup relies on you getting your sound and balance right at the time. There's only so much you can fix in the DAW after, see?

The panning thing comes into effect with a mixer in the chain so I guess I'd be panning one tom hard left, on hard right and one dead centre.

That gives you a little bit of control after the recording, but not a massive amount.
At very least you could increase/decrease the stereo image of the three toms by adjusting how wide panned your stereo track is in your daw.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious here. I forgot you originally mentioned mixers in your OP.

Better is a personal preference at that point. Both are in the same league, just different. Neither one will stop you from getting a good recording.

Better is a personal preference at that point. Both are in the same league, just different. Neither one will stop you from getting a good recording.

Ok awesome, that's the answer I needed. Thanks all for your wisdom and patience

Don't wanna push my luck but.. Could I do the same thing again with the aux RCA inputs 5 &6?
And record 8 channels simultaneously?

Last edited:
Back