Using home theater system for monitors

gadsworth

First thing I don't spend money unless it's necessary. I have a Bose home theater system I don't use anymore and want to use as monitors for a Tascam 2488 neo. Can I do it and how?
I tried hooking from the back of the Bose receiver to the Tascam and got a very loud hum. Any advice would be appreciated. Can play music but don't know crap about electonics.

Line Out from the Tascam into the Line In on the Bose should work.

The Bose will produce sound of course, but by design they tend to be colored for middle-of-the-road sound reproduction, for the best overall use in someone's less than ideal living room. They're not going to be good for mixing.

Thanks for your help I'll give it a try if it sucks I'll break down and buy some monitors.

The only issue with this strategy is you have no frame of reference for "sucks". Have you heard good monitors in a decently setup music/mixing room? Do you know what you're listening for to determine the 'sucks' qualifier?

I should. I know when things don't sound like I want them to sound whether it's a great or a bad room but then again maybe not.

Hey gadsworth.........your thoughts about getting monitors are right on track. If you don't now.........you will soon enough after you realize that the Bose aren't going to tell you the truth about your mixes......and you've spent valuable time.

You don't mention much about your overall goals with all this and anything about your environment where you're going to be recording and listening to your work.......or even what kind music you're looking produce. Perhaps you can tell us.

All of us here are against spending money foolishly........and have gone through what you're about to.......so trust us that we get it and can probably save you money in this process.

Back