Using an amplifier with video recording

Birdrock

Hi. Newbie here. I know it's possible but am having a little trouble recording myself playing guitar through an amp and getting the amp's audio - not the computer's mic.

Computer: Lenovo Y700
Recording with Audacity or Reaper.

Basically I want to record video and audio of myself playing guitar but when I play it back the recording is from the computer's mic (you hear the guitar unplugged). I want the sound from my amp like when I record audio using Audacity or Reaper. I know on way is to record using both the computer camera AND my recording software and then matching those recordings, but isn't there a simpler application that will automatically record the video and use the signal from my amp?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum!

You'll need to tell us what the setup is like when your recording works as you wish.
Are you using an audio interface? What interface?...a microphone?..and emulated line out from the amp? What amp?..built in sound card? What cables and what setup?

We also need to know what video software you're using.

Chances are your video software has an options menu that will let you choose the appropriate input device and, since reaper/audacity does what you want, that'll probably work but without the info that's just a guess.

Hi. Newbie here. I know it's possible but am having a little trouble recording myself playing guitar through an amp and getting the amp's audio

So, are you using the laptop's built in camera? If so I don't know if the Video recording software (Win Movies?) CAN be fed with other than the internal mic? You can certainly select other than the int' mic in Sounds and Devices (Rht click speaker icon) but then then that source may not be able to be routed to the video recorder.

The best option would be an external camera that has either its own microphone or, much better, one that can take a line level source from a mixer and decent microphone.

There is 'Podcaster' section you know? Sounds like their bag of wrigglies!

Dave.

Thanks. I'm using a Peavey Vyper 1 amplifier - emulated line out into computer.
The default recording device is a Realtek High Definition Audio device (guess that's the soundcard).
I use the default video camera on the computer (Lenovo Y700) for video recording.
I can use either Audacity or Reaper successfully to record sound.

Ok, Thanks.

That means your video recording software is automatically choosing the webcam mic rather than the line-input.
Have a look through the software's settings menus and see if you can choose audio input device independent of video device.
If you can, select line input rather than mic.

If you can't find it, tell us the name of the software you're using.

Aha! It seems Msoft want to sell you another app' to allow the addition of another sound source!
'Add Audio' would seem to be what is wanted but is greyed out.

I suggest you download the demo of Camtasia, That allows the connection of any capture device and any audio. When you have run the free time gamut of C, go onto 30 days with Sony Vegas. A couple more demos will get you by until Christmas when 'significant other buys you a new laptop and you can start all over again!

I too am having a reet song and dance with 'video' as Mr S is aware. (BTW, have 'they' tinkered with the MO for attachments?)

Dave.

Attachments

• audio greyed out.png
    audio greyed out.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 6
Try VSDC as ALT controller software. I have the VIP1 with USB out. Is that your model ?

Aha! It seems Msoft want to sell you another app' to allow the addition of another sound source!
'Add Audio' would seem to be what is wanted but is greyed out.

I suggest you download the demo of Camtasia, That allows the connection of any capture device and any audio. When you have run the free time gamut of C, go onto 30 days with Sony Vegas. A couple more demos will get you by until Christmas when 'significant other buys you a new laptop and you can start all over again!

I've used OBS for a while as a free alternative. It does everything I could need and more. Might be worth a look

BTW, have 'they' tinkered with the MO for attachments?

I hope so. What do you notice that's different?
PM if you want, to keep the thread clean. :)

"Did you first add some sort of visual element (photo or video) to your project? A movie can't just be music so Movie Maker requires you to add the photos or video first. After that, you should be able to use the 'Add Music' button and then pick your .wma, .wav or .mp3 files easily.

If you want just a single photo, be sure to extend its duration to the length of the music. You can do this by clicking 'Fit to Music' on the Project tab."

That ^ is an answer from another forum and it seems MMaker is dumb, it cannot allow music to be added from another source in real time (as you can in Camtasia e.g.) You CAN it seems add (replace?) an audio track from an existing video file.

Dave (Attachments S. Don't know, just 'felt' different. I shall pay more attention next time. wddaya mean, 'hope so'?

Post #9 never got put up ('er indoors probably collard me for sommat!)
I seems MMaker is not going to work.

Dave.

Back