usb mixer or interface to the pc

Biscuit5

Hi
heres one thats probably been asked and answered but I can find the thread.
I have an alesis usb mixer going to my pc for recording is that ok or should i use a interface instead and if it matters im using cool edit as my program.

Biscuit5

I have an Alesis Mulitmix 16 USB and it works just fine for recording. You should be fine with the Alesis, unless you feel you might need something more portable.

For example:
I connected the 8 tracks out from my ADAT tape machine to 8 inputs on my Alesis. I used the USB from the Alesis to transfer all 8 channels simultaneously to my computer. Handy for transferring ADAT to computer.

I can plug all my instruments into the Alesis and send one or more individually to my computer using USB while recording. If you only have a 2 track USB send on yours you could still send two instruments at once (or one which is pretty common).

I don't use my Alesis USB outs at the present time though for transferring to the computer. I still plug all my instruments into the mixer but I send the signal through the main outs to an external interface (Lexicon U42S) which is USB connected to the computer. I use a laptop and can use the Lexicon interface to record from the Alesis or take my laptop and interface upstairs to listen to the recordings and/or mix. I can also take it to my friend's house to mix if I want.

So the muber of channels and portability are all factors...

Back