USB microphone and soundcard

Steel s

I am going to buy a usb condenser microphone, i am just wondering do i need to buy a sound card on top to produce a better quality or it will not make a difference, as the mic can not be pluged into the sound card.

Asked and answered all by yourself.
You could use the USB for recording and your soundcard for playback though but if you're going to buy a soundcard then why not a large diaphragm condenser to plug into it?
I use my USB mic for Skype and that's about it.
Here's a link for you, before you buy anything.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
It's light reading and very informative.
Have fun with it. :)

What do you want to do, and what do you want to sound like? read about the lack of quality in most factory soundcards and USB mics all over this place!

Asked and answered all by yourself.
You could use the USB for recording and your soundcard for playback though but if you're going to buy a soundcard then why not a large diaphragm condenser to plug into it?
I use my USB mic for Skype and that's about it.
Here's a link for you, before you buy anything.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
It's light reading and very informative.
Have fun with it. :)

would the condenser microphone connect to the sound card without phantom power??????
i am only looking to buy a sound card if it makes the recording of the usb condenser microphone sound better.
Thanks

Strongly agreed. USB mics are universally slightly above complete excrement except for those that aren't (above). They use the cheapest converters and gain stages they can get away with, generally cheap components throughout, and not all of them are even capable of monitoring while you record. They're just plain terrible. I wouldn't even use them for podcasting, frankly, but that's all they're even moderately acceptable for.

the usb mic i was thinking about buying is Samson C03U.

so is the best thing for me is to buy a sound card and a normal microphone?? rather than a usb mic and a sound card. (because the usb will not be pluged to the sound card << no use)

Your easiest and best sounding option would probably be a usb or firewire interface (which has a preamp built in and acts as an "external soundcard") and a real condenser mic. Read the link that was posted like 6 times.

Back