USB Interface/Microphones

Robert42

Hi

I'm certainly a newbie when it comes to microphones. I am currently using a Samson C03U but I am not absolutely satisfied with it. I'm using the microphone mainly for speech but I do want the output to be as accurate as possible but within a limited budget.

Using a USB microphone means that the microphone itself has a built-in A/D converter and could this lead to some problems with getting the signal from capsual to the USB input up the computer. I haven't seen this discussed anywhere.

I am coming from the other end, that is digital to audio and having a good quality D/A converter makes a huge difference in sound quality. So is the reverse is true about microphones.

If I was to purchase something Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 it would all so open up more microphones but of course the initial outlay would probably double my budget. There is a course in line USB converters but these cost about the same as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

If I go down this path would the particular interface I have mentioned be recommended, it certainly seems to be popular on the Internet.

My rationale is that if you buy a USB microphone then surely a good amount of cost would be the electronics and manufacturers could go cost-cutting in this way but am I just being a bit paranoid.

Robert…

First off, glad to hear you're not happy with that mike. It shows you've got some ears. :laughings:
Second, save a few more quid and get the 2i4 with midi and more I/O capability. You'll be happier in the long run.
Unless you are doing podcasts or some other low audio production, you'll want to have the freedom to change mikes when you bump up. Start with a decent SM57 and a cheap LDC, and you'll immediately be happier than using the C03U.

Yes, the scarlett 2i4 is highly recommended as is the Steinberg UR22 and the Tascam US122MkII (all with midi)

Having (eventually!) tried a USB mic, and a pretty cheap, £40 one at that, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was for close speech work. vastly better than trying to cobble a dynamic mic into a laptop's sound card! But yes OP, get a proper set up!

Nice to see reccie's suggesting AIs with MIDI. There are those I am sure who will say "don't/will never need it. Why should I pay for it?" Well, don't work like that! The UR 22 has MIDI but is cheaper than the 2i2 and is certainly as good an interface.

Tiny point? The Tascam 122/144 are excellent interfaces but I don't think the pre amps have the grunt for a dynamic for quiet stuff. .... And if you think you need more I/O than the basic 2 by 2 check the specifications VERY carefully! Do not rely on model numbers to tell you how many workable audio inputs you will get.

Dave.

Yes, the scarlett 2i4 is highly recommended as is the Steinberg UR22 and the Tascam US122MkII (all with midi)
I would like to thank everyone for the replies, it is certainly got me thinking. I spent a little bit of time looking at the interfaces that have been suggested. The Tascam US122MkII I see has been superseded with the US366 although there are plenty of the early ones around.

I am a little puzzled as to why the suggestion is that I should get an interface that includes MIDI because I will never be using it. I am mainly using it for podcasts/voice over work but I do believe that the quality of the voice should be as accurate as possible. That leaves me to look at something like the Tascam US322 very reasonably priced and I like the idea of the online mixer.

When it comes to choice of microphone I should be doing this by audition because it's clear that what is good for one person is not good for another. But it would seem that people have agreed with me that by plugging in an interface gives me a lot more flexibility.

Any comments on the Tascam US 322 or any rationale as to why I should include MIDI if I'm not going to use it.

Robert…

Hi Robert.
There is of course no reason why you should have MIDI on an interface if you are never going to use it but do not for one moment think that the money saved is automatically going into better audio or converter electronics!

Thing is, sound cards and interfaces ALWAYS came with MIDI, indeed many of the DAW recording programs you now see were intended JUST for MIDI and were, and still are sometimes, called "sequencers". Audio recording was very much a "bolt on later" issue!

MIDI is SO useful and such a unique collaborative effort that I shall resist to my last breath its demise "by default" . Not putting MIDI on an AI does NOT give you better audio, just a bit more cash in some ones pocket. If I were a cynical person I could suggest that without MIDI an AI can have much worse latency? Worse latency means bad drivers and bad drivers help nobody.

But, if you want a solid, practical reason? Resale value.."Oh! Ah! THAT's the one without.....!" How much for a Tascam 2k chaps?

Dave.

Hi Dave

Thank you very much for your reply and advice and I have taken that on board particularly the resale value because I'm sure that if I wanted to offload it in the future it is more likely to be wanted by someone who is using MIDI. I have a look on the Tascam site and they put the specs of the US 366 & US 322 side-by-side and there are some subtle differences. Looking at the prices on the Internet the US 366 sells for about £122 which seems to believe the typical price of AI's. It does seem to be very rugged looking device.

Robert…

Back