USB Inteface -- must it have MIDI inputs?

3CNorth

Hi folks...after reading tweakheadz for about 4 hours I have lots of new questions...but I'll try to keep it isolated for now to my next purchase. I have a small mixer and I understand that I could plug my mixer into a soundcard or an interface...I think the interface would provide more utility/flexibility so will start looking for an interface that I can afford.

Seems like everything I'm reading on tweakheadz says I need to plug my MIDI out from my keyboard into I assume the interface. Right now I'm only interested in recording acoustic guitar and mic inputs -- not quite sure where the keyboard comes in yet but I am prepared to follow advice...

But - the less expensive interfaces I've seen seem to have RCA in/out connections and not MIDI connections. I know that I could send my mixer into the RCA in on the interface to get sound to my computer...

I think that I understand (from reading only) the utility of having the MIDI connection from the keyboard to the computer...but I'm puzzled right now on how all the pieces would connect - mixer, interface, keyboard w/MIDI

Summing up:
1. If I buy something like a very inexpensive Behringer U Control UCA202 USB Audio Interface with RCA ins/outs ... can I connect my mixer to this, find a sequencing package to try and start recording? Without the keyboard MIDI connection?

2. If I wish to connect the keyboard w/MIDI:
a. What extra functionality/utility/flexibility does that buy me?
b. Would I have to get an interface that accepts MIDI?
c. Where does my mixer come into play using this configuration?

Thank you again!

ER

If you are just doing acoustic guitar and vocals midi is not necessary. You only need midi if you want to record the actual key strokes from your keyboard. It does make it easy to interchange sounds and fix mistakes - the most common use I think is to apply the midi info to different instruments - for example you record the midi information using a piano sound from your keyboard, then in your DAW you can go in and assign it to play through a synth or organ sound.

Midi has a bit of learning curve. I don't use it much but my music is mostly guitar/bass/drums/vocals - I do add keys in sometimes but I just play it.

Also - your interface does not need midi for you to interact or record with MIDI! You can get a regular audio interface and pick up a MIDI-to-USB cable for like $10 on ebay -

your better off getting as many inputs as you can afford and pick up a cheap midi cable if you want to do midi

*as always - these are just opinions, not carved in stone - but I think many people share the same opinion...

you should probably read this

USB/Firewire Computer Interface:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ltitrack-computer-interface-recording-323561/

Noob myself but, I'll describe my setup. Maybe it'll help.

I bought a used M-Audio Fast Track II interface and have it connected to my PC via USB. I also have an M-Audio KeyRig 49 MIDI keyboard connected via a seperate USB port. Mics and instruments get recorded thru the interface and the MIDI direct via USB.

I recently downloaded a trial version of Mixcraft 5 recording software to try out and everything seems to work just fine together. If I understand correctly, using a mixer will still only provide you with a L/R input and NOT multiple tracking inputs so, you're basically mixing down to a stereo recording while recording.

Hopefully, other more experienced members can correct me if I'm wrong and point you in the right direction.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok I get it ... the MIDI connection can happen with another USB connection to the computer ... it doesn't get connected thru the mixer or interface ... the computer just handles all the connections it sees on various USB ports ... got it ...thank you much !!!

My first endeavor will be to record a love song for my wife ... in the hopes that she is wooed into looking the other way when I start wanting to add gear!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok I get it ... the MIDI connection can happen with another USB connection to the computer ... it doesn't get connected thru the mixer or interface ... the computer just handles all the connections it sees on various USB ports ... got it ...thank you much !!!

My first endeavor will be to record a love song for my wife ... in the hopes that she is wooed into looking the other way when I start wanting to add gear!!

That's how mine works. Pretty basic but, it gets the job done! Remember, Craigslist can be your friend!

Noob myself but, I'll describe my setup. Maybe it'll help.

I bought a used M-Audio Fast Track II interface and have it connected to my PC via USB. I also have an M-Audio KeyRig 49 MIDI keyboard connected via a seperate USB port. Mics and instruments get recorded thru the interface and the MIDI direct via USB.

I recently downloaded a trial version of Mixcraft 5 recording software to try out and everything seems to work just fine together.

I have a similar setup with Mixcraft Musician's Bundle & the KeyRig. Only my interface is a Presonus Audiobox. Was easy to set up & gets the job done. I'm a guitar player but MIDI comes in handy when I need to add strings etc to a song. (My girlfriend likes strings)

I have a similar setup with Mixcraft Musician's Bundle & the KeyRig. Only my interface is a Presonus Audiobox. Was easy to set up & gets the job done. I'm a guitar player but MIDI comes in handy when I need to add strings etc to a song. (My girlfriend likes strings)

The hardware was really simple to setup. I had been using an older version of N-Track that I had been considering upgrading but, after hearing Mixcraft 5 mentioned several times, I decided to check it out for myself. I'm pretty much sold. After the 14 day trial ends, I'll be ordering it.

MIDI is a blast. It's easy to get carried away though!

Back