Usb controller to synth via DAW

frank1985

This is my first foray into MIDI so go easy on me :)

I'm trying to control a hardware synth module (TG33) via FL studio with a USB Powered midi controller.
Here's how I have everything set up so far.

The controller is of course connected via USB; within FL studio the Midi input is set to the Launchkey mini; the midi output is set to my focusrite scarlett (port 1) with a midi cable leading from there to the midi input of my TG33, set to receive on port 1.

I am however getting no sound from the tg33 (midi not being triggered) - do I need another piece of hardware to get this set up, other than a controller with Midi out?

This is my first foray into MIDI so go easy on me :)

I'm trying to control a hardware synth module (TG33) via FL studio with a USB Powered midi controller.
Here's how I have everything set up so far.

The controller is of course connected via USB; within FL studio the Midi input is set to the Launchkey mini; the midi output is set to my focusrite scarlett (port 1) with a midi cable leading from there to the midi input of my TG33, set to receive on port 1.

I am however getting no sound from the tg33 (midi not being triggered) - do I need another piece of hardware to get this set up, other than a controller with Midi out?

I know it is no comfort to you Frank but it would solve your problem very simply if that controller had a MIDI output!

I have been fighting against the lack of MIDI ports on AIs and other, otherwise "MIDI" devices but I fear the rot has set in and there seems little chance of things changing.

Yes, kit has become smaller especially thinner but a few mnfctrs have still fitted MIDI connectors in the form of 3.5mm TRS jacks, not ideal but can be lived with.

I am sure there IS a way to route the controller to the TG33 and someone will come up with it soon. I don't have FL Studio so cannot help.

Dave.

Hi Frank,

Years ago I liked the 1st TG33 I bought so much that I bought a second one. Still have both.

- Are the send and receive 'channels' set the same in the same (not sure if you mean 'channel' when you say 'port')? The TG33 can be set to 'OMNI' to receive on all channels.
- Is there a MIDI indicator light on the Scarlett that shows MIDI activity?

Last edited:
I have a roughly similar arrangement that I use from time to time.

I have a USB keyboard going into my DAW (Reaper). From there I can set the midi output to got to a Roland Sound Canvas, which get is its midi from my interface. I then have lineouts from the Roland going back to line ins on the interface to record its audio.

Most of the time I use VSTi, but every now and again there is a sound on the Roland that I want to use.

It should be just amatter of making sure the routing is all lined up ok.

Back