Upgrade home voice over setup

What quality feedback and help you all have given me!

What I'm up to - I'm making a video game with various music tracks, sound effects, and (indeed) an occasional voice over. I control the mix in real-time, so it is straightforward to bring the music and effects down to hear the VO clearly. The very last step for the project is the re-record all the voice over - with my actor - in an acquaintance’s voice acting, sound-proof facility she built in her back yard. A big favor on her part that I can use once.

The clip Keith improved was recorded at my home as a working temp track, as I’m writing and developing. I assume a proper sound-proofed room have more favorable room tone. And thank you for all the details.
(I don’t know what equipment she has, so I’m trying to cash in this huge favor well-prepared, including getting better at mic technique and directing performance).
Therefore, Steenamaroo’s A, B, C, D breakdown is very helpful.

Finally, I’ve posted an mp3 with my mic unplugged, like ecco83 recommended. I hear a little hiss!

View attachment noMic.mp3

If you did that test as I suggested, just left the gain controls set and pulled the XLR that is an excellent result. My KA6 returns just about the same figure of around -63dBFS. YOU can hear a slight hiss? I can't unless I jack the p'back gain by another 10dB into my K92 cans.

The tiny blip at 60Hz shows mains pickup from the room, not internal supply hum since that would be at 120Hz. I dare say a shielded XLR plug with a 150 Ohm termination would eliminate even that blip and possibly push the noise down a dB or so even more.

You would have to spend a considerable sum on a pre amp to better that noise level or go for one of the ultra low noise capacitor Rode mics. The question now is, where is the noise in the original recording coming from? My guess is "EVERYWHERE!" Computer fan noise, road noise, WTF knows WHAT noise! ***t'appen. If you want a better recorded noise floor try recording WAY away from electronics and at 2am'ish.

Dave.

Attachments

• Spectrumnomic.png
    Spectrumnomic.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 4
Very insightful.
Yes, this was an office with multiple computers. No sound proofing in sight. So you have given me that recording in a proper room will take me a step upward.

Very insightful.
Yes, this was an office with multiple computers. No sound proofing in sight. So you have given me that recording in a proper room will take me a step upward.
Start with turning off everything that doesn't need to be on, and then [if needed] convert that one computer from spinning media to SSD. Any external drives should go in a closet. Replace CFL bulbs with LEDs. Weatherstrip doors. Then, start applying treatment. (I started with heavy blankets draped across extra boom mic stands :).)

Start with turning off everything that doesn't need to be on, and then [if needed] convert that one computer from spinning media to SSD. Any external drives should go in a closet. Replace CFL bulbs with LEDs. Weatherstrip doors. Then, start applying treatment. (I started with heavy blankets draped across extra boom mic stands :).)

All good stuff ^ Also, look at that plot and you will see the energy continuous down to "0 Hz" ! In fact there is a slight lift past 100Hz? You don't need all that crud. Almost nothing the newb mics up goes much below 80Hz even 100Hz so as soon as you can put a corner HPF (bass cut) into the signal chain.

Dave.

What is most lacking in my setup for voice over?

I have an SM 58 and/or a Shure AXS4 microphone.
I use a Tascam US 322 audio interface for my laptop.

The sound quality is acceptable, but you can imagine it's quiet. I get some improvement adding a compression filter after the fact in my editing software, but I know a hardware compressor would be better.

I'd like to mix two microphones but if a single channel setup affords a tremendous quality boost for my buck, I'll make do with a single-channel setup.

- If I spent under $500 for an upgrade, what would you do? Replace the microphones? Get a preamp? Get a compressor?

Thank you.
seems like every sports guy on tv is using an ev re 20 for talk

Back