Unsure where to ask: how to record multitrack (mics) with minimal equipment.

SaffeiZ

Hi there,

Sincere apologies if I'm not posting correctly I'm just at my whits end here and I need someone to help me out.

This is what I have access to:

A computer
2 microphones (line-in. NOT USB)
2 sound cards (one intergrated and one USB)

I want to create a setup where I can record the input from both mics simultaneously on separate tracks. Is this possible? If so, what software should I use? I don't mind figuring out how to use the software myself I just want to know if this is possible and what I should use or what my next-best solution could be.

I have no ability right now to purchase or use any additional equipment.

Thanks for any help at all.

Kindest regards

HI SaffeiZ,
There are exceptions but, generally speaking, it's better to let one audio interface/sound card handle all of your ins and outs.

What USB device do you have?
More or less any recording software will address all of the available ins and outs as separate paths,
so, if your USB interface has two separate mic preamps, your software will see input 1 and input 2.

Integrated soundcards aren't generally worth using, and there's usually only a single microphone input.
The line input on them is usually stereo but that's not much use to you without additional gear.

Your best approach is to use your USB device, if it has two preamps, or invest in a new one that covers your needs. :)

What is the USB "soundcard" (usually called a "USB Audio Interface)? I ask because you only have two microphones and most AIs have two microphone inputs.

As Mr S has said, it is not usually possible to run two different soundcards together but I have done this using MAGIX Samplitude (you can download a 30 day demo) .
I was running a PCI card and a USB interface for 4 tracks. The snag is that the two interfaces are not synced together but for the 3-4 minutes we needed the drift was not noticeable.

Dave.

On a Mac (OS X) you can create an aggregate device and use more than one USB interface at a time, but Windows doesn't natively allow that.

Repeating what [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] posted, the best solution for the OP is to use a single, external interface that has 2 microphone inputs.

Back