Two Zoom R16's into Logic?

jkarp

Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure out how I can get all of my drum mics into Logic as single tracks. Here's my setup:

- Drum set with 9 mics

- Phone playing music from Google Music with 1/4" cable plugged into headphone jack

- Mics go into a Behringer Xenyx X2442USB Mixer XLR inputs and phone goes into Behringer 1/4" input.

- Behringer direct outs go to a Zoom R16 with 8 XLR inputs

- Zoom R16 connects to iMac via USB cable into Logic Pro X

So I'm wondering how inexpensive and easy it would be to get all 9 drum mics and phone output into Logic as individual tracks. I have the opportunity to get another R16 for really cheap and could link the two, but that would take up the USB jack, therefore unable to push into Logic (I think?). Is there anything that can be done easily here to get all the inputs working?

Please know I'm well aware that I don't NEED that many drum mics. This is just to give me practice and experience with mic'ing drums, mixing, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

...Josh

If your Mac has more than one USB port, you can create an aggregate device with the two R16s and then choose that in your preferences.

The input numbers for the 2nd device you add to the aggregate device start after the first device ends.

I've done this with a Focusrite interface (FW) and Zoom H6 (USB) in interface mode on my Mac Mini. It works.

Josh, are you saying the mac has only two USB ports and it would be inconvenient to have them both occupied?

If so, try a GOOD USB hub, a powered version. It USED to be a complete no-no to plug an AI into a hub but AIs at least seem now to be more tolerant(and I don't know if it was ever a problem with macs?) I would try a hub with minimal connections, 4 say.

BTW. I have a 4 port USB 2.0 laptop 'slot' adaptor. Worked fine on a very old HP Compaq. Anyone over here wants it, PM and it's yours.

And! Josh, if that is cheap enough worth getting as a backup even if you cannot use two together?

Dave.

Last edited:
FYI. About an hour ago I plugged my NI KA6 into my living room desktop (nothing special) 'No drivers found' (hmm? Thought I did that?)
Anyhoos, found driver setup on this lappy, copied to a stick. Installed on LR PC.

Went in slick as paint. Plugged KA6 into a not especially superb powered hub, told Samplitude Pro X Silver to use KA6. Played out a track fine on cans. All the while the PC was running Radio 3 through an ESI 1010e ! NI drivers done bother NO body, just get TF on with it!

N.B. That ESI is a pig to get setup! Ok once done but I was afraid I had given myself a good Sunday morning's work to sort it back out. Not to be!

Dave.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was originally asking thinking that the Zoom only had a single USB port, therefore how would I go from the "last" Zoom to my iMac, but looking into it further I see the Zoom actually has TWO USB ports! I should've opened my eyes before my mouth ;-)

Thanks again... Josh

Back