Two questions: G-Vox & computer audio restoration (vinyl, cassettes)

CovenantKeeper

I'm a guitar player getting started in the wonderful world of computer-based recording. I've got two questions:
1) I just heard about the G-Vox guitar-MIDI pickup system. Has anybody out there had any experience with it? How well does it work? What I'd like to be able to do is play stuff on the guitar (since that's my weapon of choice), record it, and then manipulate that in MIDI on my computer to get other instrumentation (without spending the $$$ for a MIDI guitar setup). Can G-Vox do this in real-time or is it more for post-processing?
2) On a totally unrelated subject, I've got some old vinyl and cassette recordings that I'd like to be able to transfer to CD. I just got PowerTracks 5.0 in the mail. Has anyone had any experience using its new digital audio recording capabilities and DSP package to restore old vinyl/cassette stuff? Or is there a better way to do it without spending more cash? Many thanks!

I actually own the GVOX system. It sometimes almost works. The real thing in this arena is the Axon Neural Net. The GVOX has the bad habit of losing connection with the computer and having to "reboot" the GVOX drivers. And the tracking accuracy is garbage. You can't reliably play chords and have all the notes picked up. And the speed of conversion isn't quite up to snuff, though you can learn to ignore the delay if you work at it. The Axon costs about 4 times more, but as all you math freaks know; 4 x 0 = 0.

Back