Trying to setup mixer

Steve Kenny

I've read the sticky on mixers but none the wiser,this is my problem.

I'm trying to setup a behringer xenyx 802 mixer. I have a kaoss pad 3 plugged into the send/return along with a mic and headphones. Then I have outputs on the mixer going into a m-track 2x2m interface. Everything works fine until I record something in mobius looper,I can only hear the loop if I plug the headphones into the m-track. Is there a way I can route the sound into the mixer to hear it being played back? If I have the headphones plugged into the m-track instead,the sound coming from the kp3 has a second delay. I'm thinking the interface is the problem.

Cheers

Hi,
The delay you hear when you monitor through the interface is probably latency. Have you had a look at the device buffer settings?
Larger buffer size = light load on the computer and higher latency (longer delay)
Smaller buffer size = hardware work for the computer but lower latency.

If you want to monitor what's being recorded via the computer (ie, with computer effects/faders etc), then that's the way to go.

You can route the interface output back into the mixer but output will be subject to the same latency and there's not really any point unless you need to make use of the mixers routing capabilities, or need a handy fader/mute on your output - Like for podcasting or something.

I am at a loss to understand why you have put the Kaoss pad in the FX loop? The unit is, AFAICT basically an output device that also has its own inputs and can work as a sampler.

The Mobius looper is unknown software to me but BEING software there is always the problem of latency if it is badly written. Look up latency and you will find lots of information on reducing it. Do note however that obtaining very low latency is usually at the expense of increased computer power so you need a pretty potent machine.

Dave.

I'm beatbox looping and using the kaoss pad to add effects. the delay is more of an echo,I can hear what I put through the mic then it's followed by a louder repeat. Lowering the buffer had no effect on the sound.

and you didn't observe any difference?
If that's the case then you're direct monitoring (knob at top right of interface) and I've no idea why you'd be hearing a delay.

Direct monitoring means you hear the sound as it comes into the interface, rather than as it comes out of the computer.
It rules out the possibility of computer latency but also means you won't be able to review computer effects/volume changes/etc

the delay is more of an echo,I can hear what I put through the mic then it's followed by a louder repeat. Lowering the buffer had no effect on the sound.

If the software has an input monitoring function it should be disabled so you hear live inputs only through the direct monitor feature of your interface.

Back