Trying to record bass from boom cars

Bazooka sounds great!

@witzendoz: That sounds kinda like the instant karma machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpX2mvNpvU

But It would probably annoy the other neighbors.

@arcasix: yes, exactly like that!

I think I'll combine the decibel meter with a head mounted camcorder and video the decibel meter reading, then call the police, then
contact the HOA manager.

I'll get a cheap decibel meter on ebay, which does not record the time or date, but I'll take care of that by video recording the time and
date on my cell phone. So I hope this works.

The blue yeti will go back on the computer.

Thanks for your advice every one :).

The Blue Yeti's frequency response starts dropping off at around 200 hz. That's two octaves above the frequencies that are shaking your house. Since it's a USB mic, I assume you don't have an audio interface, so you won't have any way of just borrowing a mic that can pick up those frequencies.

That's a podcasting mic, so the low end is rolled off to keep rumble and table noise to a minimum. That also keeps you from recording the subwoofers shaking your house. You might be better off trying to record it with your phone.

Ok, I got my decibel meter, and unfortunately that doesn't work either. I've tried getting a reading above normal many times, and it doesn't go above normal. Maybe about 50 decibels.
Today I even went outside while one of the drug dealers had his boom car going, and him asking me why I'm looking at him, and nothing over normal.

Is there any kind of somewhat inexpensive microphone I could use to record the base? I'd rather not pay $100 for another mic.

Spl is measured on a weighted scale. It pays more attention to midrange than extreme low end. Try it "unweighted"

Did you actually get an spl meter, or did you download an app?

Last edited:
Back