TRS balanced plug okay in 1/4" unbalanced jack?

Cliff K

Hi, I apologize if this has been covered before as I know redundant questions slow everything down--I'm sure it must have been, but I couldn't find the answer with a search. I just want to check before I order some snakes: is there any problem using cables with balanced TRS 1/4" plugs for going into unbalanced 1/4" jacks? The price is about the same, so I'm not really saving money by not using a TRS snake, so if figure if it works fine then why not have the TRS in case I need it. I'm guessing that if a TRS cable is used in an unbalanced jack the third connection is left out, but it functions as any other unbalanced cable? Is this correct, or is it a bad idea to do this?
Thanks for your help (sorry if this is an uber-idiot question:confused: ).

Thanks a lot for your response, Pauly. Okay, so this will work then, or will there be problems with things being out of phase?

TexRoadkill said:
What are you connecting up?

One snake will go from a balanced 1/4" patchbay to the unbalanced line ins on a mixer, the other snake will go from the same patchbay to the inputs and aux sends/returns on a Tascam 788. The 788 has balanced 1/4" inputs. So the only balanced connections are the patchbay and the inputs for the 788. I run my microphone through my mixer's XLR mic in, and buss it to the 788 with a group send, which is an unbalanced signal. Obviously I don't need balalnced TRS cables for this set-up, but I thought that if a TRS cable works just like an unbalanced 1/4" cable for making unbalanced connections, why not just get TRS cables so they're there in case I need them. If, as Blue Bear says, my level will drop 6db, I'll just use unbalanced 1/4" cables and keep my levels where they're supposed to be. I never would have known about that drop in level....thanks very much.

Back