Trouble with microphone and Magix Music Maker 2014 Premium. Help please!

Cquicmoi

Hi everybody,

I work on my laptop which runs on Windows 7 to create music. I use Magix Music Maker 2014 Premium. I created a few projects. Each project contains multiple musical tracks. They work fine. No problem there. However, I want to add my voice in the mix to complete my creation. I use a Blue Snowball USB microphone. This is where the problems begin.

On one hand, basically, when my microphone is plugged in before I open the Magix software, no sound can be heard from the musical tracks I created. I see that the software can record my voice but there is no music at all. On the other hand, when I open Magix before plugging in my microphone, the software plays fine but doesn't recognize the microphone and it uses the internal microphones from the laptop which is absolutely not what I want.

Can someone help me just record my voice while I the music from the tracks I created play? This is really frustrating and it matters for me to complete the creation I've started.

Thank you.

My guess is this:

1 When you plug the mike in before you open Magix, Magix recognises the USB mike as the audio device, for both recording and playback. So you will record vocals, but not hear what you've recorded because it is trying to play it back through USB.

2 When you open Magix before the mike, it recognises the internal soundcard as being the audio device, again for both recording and playback, hence you year what you recorded and you activiate the internal mike.

If that's the case, what you need to do is try to configure your audio settings so that it recognises USB as external device and onboard soundcard as playback device.

The other option is to sell the USB mike and buy an audio interface and do everything through that.

"If that's the case, what you need to do is try to configure your audio settings so that it recognises USB as external device and onboard soundcard as playback device."

That ^ is probably not possible G.
I suspect this is an unfortunate combination of rather "toysRus music software*, a microphone really only designed for one way, getting tracks down and Windows 7's rather peculiar way of handling USB sound devices.

The first, cost free step IMHO would be to download a "proper" DAW such as Reaper and have a do with that but ultimately if you want decent results and a practical and smooth working regime, an AI and conventional mic is the way to go.

*NB. MAGIX Samplitude softwares are excellent and in fact allow you to setup record/play paths that other DAWs do not.

Dave.

I am still on XP, but within its Sounds and Audio Devices I can set up recording, playback and midi with separate devices . . . and likewise with Reaper. I can't say how Windows 7 works.

I am still on XP, but within its Sounds and Audio Devices I can set up recording, playback and midi with separate devices . . . and likewise with Reaper. I can't say how Windows 7 works.

I can setup in and out on different devices in XP what I could NOT do is have a different device input a track from that which outputs it...AFAIK!

Then in XP, the Sounds and Devices is pretty much the sole preserve of the OnBoardSoundcard but when a separate card is used, e.g. my 2496s, they become the default sound system an OBS is greyed out (I turn it of in BIOS or Device Mang' anyway) . MIDI is a different case, XP does not have a MIDI interface in it.

Win7 is a bit different. It seems to "have a say" no matter what AI you chose to use. I confess I just hack about until I get working what and how I need then leave it!...RESTORE is your friend!

Dave.

Hi gecko zzed, could you tell me what you mean by an "audio interface" exactly. You mean a mixer? What would you recommend?

Hi gecko zzed, could you tell me what you mean by an "audio interface" exactly. You mean a mixer? What would you recommend?

Here's a list...
USB Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater.com

An audio interface will take the analog signal from your mic, instrument, etc and convert to digital for your computer to record. It will also take the digital signal from your computer and convert it to analog so you can hear it through speakers or headphones. Audio interfaces come with many different features, sizes, inputs, and price and you buy the one that you think best fits your needs and budget.

With buying an audio interface, you are basically ditching the USB mic and that is a good thing. No one here recommends USB mics; mainly for the very reasons you are having problems with your snowball. You will need to a regular mic with the interface. If you don't have one, you'll have to purchase that also. There are many many threads on which mic to buy. Search through the forums here to read up on what might work for you.

Have fun,

Thank you for the answer. However, since I don't know much about these audio interfaces here's another question that might sound a little stupid for people who are acquainted with the subject. These audio interfaces, usually, how do they connect to my computer? With a USB connection (based on the list you sent me)? So, if I understand correctly I should not have the problem I have with my Snowball anymore after that. Looking forward to hear from you.

Correct. An audio interface is the right way to do what you want. USB mics are not really meant for recording; more like podcasting or something.

Thank you for the answer. However, since I don't know much about these audio interfaces here's another question that might sound a little stupid for people who are acquainted with the subject. These audio interfaces, usually, how do they connect to my computer? With a USB connection (based on the list you sent me)? So, if I understand correctly I should not have the problem I have with my Snowball anymore after that. Looking forward to hear from you.

Unfortunately you won't be able to use the Snowball anymore with an AI. These take a balanced, XLR connection from a suitable microphone. You can buy a quite decent capacitor (aka condenser) mic for around $50 these days. Some USB mics also have an XLR connection (and some even a headphone output!) but the Snowball does not it seems.

Dave.

Hi.

I guess I may have a similar problem. I use a laptop with Windows 7, and am a novice, just setting up with some first attempts at home recording. I have Music Maker 2014 Premium, and have just ordered a Samson C01U USB condenser microphone (which hasn't arrived yet). Because this is a USB item, is it likely that I'll experience the same problem as Cquicmoi, above?

If this is going to be a problem, is there a solution you could recommend? A different Samson mic that's not USB, maybe? I have no idea about pre-amps and stuff like that - was just hoping to plug in and go, writing music digitally on the Music Maker software then adding in live vocals!

Sorry if this is really basic, but my head's whirling! Help please!

Thanks guys

Hi.

I guess I may have a similar problem. I use a laptop with Windows 7, and am a novice, just setting up with some first attempts at home recording. I have Music Maker 2014 Premium, and have just ordered a Samson C01U USB condenser microphone (which hasn't arrived yet). Because this is a USB item, is it likely that I'll experience the same problem as Cquicmoi, above?

If this is going to be a problem, is there a solution you could recommend? A different Samson mic that's not USB, maybe? I have no idea about pre-amps and stuff like that - was just hoping to plug in and go, writing music digitally on the Music Maker software then adding in live vocals!

Sorry if this is really basic, but my head's whirling! Help please!

Thanks guys

This review..
Samson C01U
Would seem to suggest that the C01U is rather better than most run of the mill USB mics?

The advice here will however always be to get a decent Audio Interface and a separate mic with an XLR cable. The snag of course is cost. A good AI such as the Steinberg UR22 will be £100 and capacitors mics start at around £50.

But if you have the money and CAN get that order changed I would certainly do so.

Dave.

Thanks, Dave - that's really useful advice. Will look into the items you mention. Changing the order will be straightforward.

Much appreciated.

Ronan

Program Settings> Audio/MIDI > in Audio playback drop down menu select 'Speakers'

Hi everybody,

I work on my laptop which runs on Windows 7 to create music. I use Magix Music Maker 2014 Premium. I created a few projects. Each project contains multiple musical tracks. They work fine. No problem there. However, I want to add my voice in the mix to complete my creation. I use a Blue Snowball USB microphone. This is where the problems begin.

On one hand, basically, when my microphone is plugged in before I open the Magix software, no sound can be heard from the musical tracks I created. I see that the software can record my voice but there is no music at all. On the other hand, when I open Magix before plugging in my microphone, the software plays fine but doesn't recognize the microphone and it uses the internal microphones from the laptop which is absolutely not what I want.

Can someone help me just record my voice while I the music from the tracks I created play? This is really frustrating and it matters for me to complete the creation I've started.

Thank you.

To hear playback =
Program Settings> Audio/MIDI > in Audio playback drop down menu select 'Speakers' (High Definition Audio Device)

Hello Sunsplatt :) Just a tip for new members- Check the date of the thread you are replying to- this one is from 2014! Welcome and enjoy the forums!

Back