treating room.

rush1974

being seeing alot of topics about treating rooms and how they are very important .

and ther so many ways to treat your room but how would you know what kind of treatment your rooms needs . i mean what kind of foams and where to plasce them . we just finished drywallin our control room and under the drywall we put this soundproof foaming (don't know if this was necessary or not) and we just finished painting and running all the chords into the walls etc .
so i guess we are now ready to bring in some of our gear . this is going to be our control room or recording room (i hope i have the terms right) whre will be putting our mixing console, effect racks, hard disk recorders, monitors etc in here . we have another room where we will have the instruments in there and the cables are running from that room into the contol room .
now before we go and actually start recording, do we have to treat this control room with the foams or i can leave the room the way it is . if i have to treat that room with foams, how do i know how much or what kind of foams i need and whre to place them . i mean, we played a cd through our monitors in that room and the room sounded pretty good to me but then i'm sure somethig is wrong there which i can't tell . the control room size is about 13'x9' .

any helpfull tips would be greatly appreciated as i'm just trying to understand this treatment thing as my head's just bloating up by reading so much of different topics on this .

if i have to buy these foams, the best place to buy them is from a music store or your local home depo store .

thanks alot guys .

Take care of the bass response first. Start with some 4" thick bass traps in the corners and then see how things sound, and go from there. You will probably want a "diffusor" on the rear wall. And some 2" thick absorbers on the left/right walls by your monitors. And another one in the front of your mixing desk.

Then again, see how it sounds. If there is high frequency ringing/"nastyness" then maybe some Auralex foam on the walls. Auralex also helps with "bad reverb". Record a track that is a few feet from the mic and see how it sounds. If it sounds bad, you probably don't have a good sounding room, and want to absorb those high-frequency reflections using something like Auralex. Keep in mind though, that the Auralex foam you see in a lot of studios will do nothing for the bass.

"Foam" source

Just my 2cents-from a guy who spent a small fortune on Auralex, do yourself a favor and check out markertek.com.

They have their house brand of foam(s), which while not available in as many colors as the Auralex, are considerably cheaper. If my memory serves me, their bass traps (grey only) run about 20-25$ each. Auralex doesnt sell anything for 25 bucks!!

Read through the links massive gave you. It's got it all. But if you're like me that's a bit overwhelming at first. So keep this in mind when learning from those sites. You can think of it as two basic areas of frequencies you want to think about. The lower end (bass stuff) and the higher end (treble stuff.) The one you want to tackle first is the one that causes the biggest problem. And that's the bass end. And foam won't help you there. So it's the rigid fiberglass for the lower end frequencies.

That's not really accurate, but it will at least help you keep your sanity while you read tons of stuff.

their bass traps
Their "bass traps" shouldn't be allowed to be called "bass traps."

Don't get me wrong -- Auralex is great for what it is - On the cheaper acoustic foam solutions, it's probably the only one that can compete with the "nicer" stuff.

I'll leave my thoughts on "severe budget" and house brand foams (most of which are even less dense than Auralex products) out of this for the moment...

But 12" foam corner pieces does not a bass trap make. And IMO, something as important as controlling the low end response in a room shouldn't be the part to cut corners...

Heh... "Cut corners" - It's a pun.

Seriously - Cheap foam isn't the solution. Expensive foam isn't even the solution. Broadband traps are a start to the solution. Always, Always, ALWAYS start with the low end. Low end, always start with. Always low start end. Low end start with always.

awesome info's ...

thanks for all the feddback guys . appreciate it . this is all very new to me and to understand as all this is making my head spin everytime i read all the post posted here and also the links people give .

i will go very slowly at this cause i guess there's lots of the terms i need to know first and understand all the db's and wave forms etc . its very interesting but also alot of is confusing to me to . maybe a good start for me is to start from the basics and then proberly will understand about all the freq. and how to kill or solve some issues with them . if someone could link me with some easy and basic understanding info links about room treatment where it's broken down to easy setps in understanding them that would be nice .

I've printed out some of the material from massive's links and will go through them . i won't treat my room yet cause i still don't know what to treat for . i will read up first and try to understand what i'm treating for .

although i will go ahead and get some bass traps for the corners and see how things work out from there . will post more later if i get stuck .

If you're talking about putting foam "bass traps" up in the corner, be aware that actual bass traps will go right over them completely - So you can leave them there if you like once you realize that they don't help. :)

Seriously - Cheap foam isn't the solution. Expensive foam isn't even the solution. Broadband traps are a start to the solution. Always, Always, ALWAYS start with the low end. Low end, always start with. Always low start end. Low end start with always.

I'm guessing he probably needs to start with the low end. Hmmm...:D

Back