Transferring 4 track tape recordings to digital

bluesfordan

Can one compressor handle multiple tracks or do each of them need their own compressor?

Does it have to be hardware (external) to prevent input clipping at the digital end (DAW)?

I've got a bunch of 4 track master tapes that I want to digitally mix and master. I have a USB audio interface with four inputs. A mixer is available with sends and returns (assignable I think). I have a compressor

You don't need (and shouldn't use, IMO) a compressor. Outputs (of the 4-track) to inputs at unity should be fine and you're in.

Don't use a compressor. Just set the inputs on the interface so that 0db on the 4 track meter is -18dbfs in the computer. (Approximately half way up the meter)

Digital has much more dynamic range than tape, so you don't have to come anywhere near clipping to get a good signal.

You don't need (and shouldn't use, IMO) a compressor. Outputs (of the 4-track) to inputs at unity should be fine and you're in.

Agreed - under no circumstances should you use a compressor when transferring from tape to digital.

Just set identical gain levels for all four tracks - this is very important to keep the relevent levels between tracks - so set the gain for the track with the highest output level and set the other tracks to the same level.

Any compressin needed do when to do the mixig in the DAW.

Just to add to the sbove,

Levels should be set at the input stage of your interface going into the daw.

You want to go direct out of the 4track with no color added from the machine's mixer or eq section.

You want in the DAW a raw representation if what's on tape (at the right level so there's no input digital clipping.)

I've got the direct out of the 4 track, the sliders and faders do nothing to the signal

I can set the level at the input of the audio interface

I guess my concern was overloading the DAW (clipping) from the audio interface

One reply mentioned the -18 dbfs level on the DAW. GarageBand only has a green>yellow>red gradation with no numerals (and a very tiny visual representation at that.) I seem to remember PT having the option of a nice level meter window and wonder if anybody knows if GB has a similar option. Please don't tell me to buy Sonar, Logic, ProTools, et al, I just don't have the hundreds of dollars to buy that stuff now.

LOL, sometimes that's money well spent :D

lol indeed :p

As far as the transfer, I would want to import the (4) tracks individually, then use the DAW to mix/master them using the latest noise reduction tools. Tapes are noisy mess and one reason I jumped ship the first moment I could.

The tricky part would be assembling them after import, unless they all have an audible marker somewhere in the track to help align them.

You really have to play all 4 tracks at once, because the tape deck will not play back at the exact same speed each pass. That turns into a nightmare when you try to line them up. Each pass will be at a slightly different pitch and tempo.

You really have to play all 4 tracks at once, because the tape deck will not play back at the exact same speed each pass. That turns into a nightmare when you try to line them up. Each pass will be at a slightly different pitch and tempo.

Yeah, that's probably true. I forget what pieces of shit most of those cheaper units were.

In theory if the OP had 4 outputs from the tape recorder and 4 inputs on the interface they could accomplish the export. It sounds like they don't have a 4 input interface(?).

He's got four inputs and was just asking about sticking a compressor in there, for the most part. His thought was that the source would be too dynamic.

Should be no problem setting levels any more than recording a Skryillex or Classical album. It can be low into the recording program and level set later

It has ben said...

You really *have* to transfer all four tracks at once to keep them locked together - doing them one at a time will give different speed variations and you will lose lock.

Do not compress or limit at all during the transfer - if it needs it, do it later in the DAW.

If you compress/limit during transfer you will need a deditated 4-channel compresser and the ability to lock them togethr so that every track is compressed equally at the same time, or you will destroy the image.

So - the way to do it is to first clean and demagnatise the tape heads - then play back and record all four tracks at once at 24bits with about -18dBFS being set as the 0VU point.

Oh - and make sure that all four inputs are set to identical levels - IE: set the level according to the loudest level on the loudest track and then set the other three to idectical input levels - otherwise you will destroy the image.

Then do everything else in the DAW.

Last edited:
Back