too much feedback/gain on bass recordings

NoahP.

Hi everyone!

My name is Noah, I'm a first time poster, and I have a feeling I'm going to be sticking around here, this is exactly the kind of place I was looking for.
So I'm not exaclty noob, but this should be a simple question, so I thought I would post here.
I'm a guitar player, but I have to record bass for my songs, but I have a problem doing that.
My bass goes directly into a Yamaha Audiogram 6, which goes into my computer (I use Logic or Reaper)
I'll record the bass track, only to find that compared to the other instruments I've recorded (Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals, Drums) it's volume is way too low (nearly inaudible).
So then I'll try to increase the volume on my actual bass and the interface, only to find that there is too much gain/feedback as a result. Sounds pretty awful.
So does this mean I have to bring the rest of my instruments down when I record in the first place, or is there a problem with my Bass x Interface setup?
I recorded a cover album with six songs on it a while back, and the thing as a whole lacked in Oompf and general "Fullness".

TL;DR - Need help with instrument levels :)

Hope you guys can help
Thanks,

Noah

Well, what level is your bass tracking at? Just wondering :)

You should be able to get a healthy signal out of that setup...if it isn't tracking somewhere between -18 and -12 then the problem lies in the chain somewhere, and it's probably not the interface since you've been able to record your other instruments with that!

Are you going for any particular kind of bass sound ? Do you use a pick ? Fingers ?
If your level is generally too low {a good question is "What do you mean by 'too low'?"} for you but a bit of fiddling on bass and interface makes it too high and distorted, surely there must be an in between point where it is neither. Find that point.

Back