in too deep

Doktor Warky

hi everyone, i hav no phd, just dreaming the dream lol
so I am a technical dunce, and all the internet seems to have no laymen terms for my technological retardation, so if it pleases the court, i have a Yamaha mg166cx mixer, i was running via a audiophile stereo channel interface to audacity, which i have found extremely user friendly for one such as my self!
my problem is i want all inputs running to their own recordable channel, to mix individually, i cant seem to do this so i purchased a 2nd hand digirack 002, i got a midi to usb adaptor and found protools, when i try open protools it says no avid hardware found although in devices i can see a midi device, but does not define as digirack
no cd's came with digirack, i looked up rtas, and it doesnt seem to be a driver, more like 100 odd effects and stuff.

any shunts in a generally forward direction would be appreciated, peace!!

I mean, to go from using a Free Audio Editor like Audacity to "finding" the industry standard DAW - Protools, is quite a jump.

How did you find Protools?

What the guys are saying is that this forum frowns on pirated software - in fact its a sure-fire way to get kicked out. PT is fairly expensive - some hardware, like hte Digirack, come swith a limtied edition PT version, but if you bought this 2nd hand ,the seller may not have have transferred to PT license to you.

ok, by find, i mean, yes u r rite, i did not pay for it, if by pirated u mean illegal d/load? no i did not, if you mean , i did not pay for it because a musician friend hooked me up with the "not latest version" from a friend of his, then yes, guilty, throw on the shackles

ok, by find, i mean, yes u r rite, i did not pay for it, if by pirated u mean illegal d/load? no i did not, if you mean , i did not pay for it because a musician friend hooked me up with the "not latest version" from a friend of his, then yes, guilty, throw on the shackles

If it were me, I would scrap the idea of using a previous version of pro tools and download Reaper. You get a 60 day evaluation license for free. After that the non commercial licence is only $60 and the commercial license is only $250. It is an awesome daw for recording and fairly easy to learn. If you liked Audacity, you will love Reaper. It comes with many usable plugins also. Quite a bargain. Not sure if the Digidesign gear will work with it. But, you can find a pretty descent usb or firewire interface with 2 to 4 inputs for under $150.

Unless his license was transferred to you, that is still pirated. Check out Reaper, even if you don't pay for it, you get nag messages on open. But $60, why do that, plus two version upgrades for that price.

If your equipment uses ASIO drivers, then 99.9% sure it will work. Programmatically, I can't image any DAW being as good as Reaper (pure code development and stability). Functionality wise, the DAW all of the fundamentals.

The only caution is workflow and how you will use it. I would not suggest its use in a live setting (not saying it couldn't just think there are other applications out there that do it better), but other than that, it is fine recording software. It is complex because good recording and mixing is complex.

thanx for the input, ill certainly try it, what would be an alternative suggestion for live recording plz?

The only caution is workflow and how you will use it. I would not suggest its use in a live setting (not saying it couldn't just think there are other applications out there that do it better)

The only caution is workflow and how you will use it. I would not suggest its use in a live setting (not saying it couldn't just think there are other applications out there that do it better), but other than that, it is fine recording software. It is complex because good recording and mixing is complex.
what would be an alternative suggestion for live recording plz?

I think that Ableton is the go-to standard for live recording/performance. It gets costly for the full versions of it. But a lot of budget interfaces come bundled with the Lite version of Ableton (Focusrite and M-Audio for instance).

How are you planning on using this new setup? Are you recording a band, or integrating samples/loops into a live set? Recording a one-man-band in a basement?

what would be an alternative suggestion for live recording plz?

Live recording is fine, I meant incorporating into a live performance. I use Reaper for my mobile recording setup. It is lighter and very straight forward for tracking live. I even have a template built that when I open it, 16 tracks are all armed and pre-named (as long as I set my mics up to the correct channels).

I have not tried it, but Waves has a new software that is designed for live recording situations, and it's on special for $99. Link

Alan.

I have not tried it, but Waves has a new software that is designed for live recording situations, and it's on special for $99. Link

Alan.

I had seen that and I was very curious as well. I assume it is what I had described with Reaper. The basics for quick easy live recording. Still, Reaper at $60 and you can install it on 3 computers. But the Waves software could have features that make it a good choice.

Back