time code vs clock????

rjt

What is the difference between time code source and clock source? Sorry if this is a basic question but I am trying to go from tape to digital recording and I have been doing my reading but am not clear on this. Does one have to do with sample rate accuracy and the other midi I just purchased a Tango and Dakota and am trying to get them to record in Cakewalk 9.0 It isn't bad, but there are a few pops, I am not sure everything is set right, but will experiment (even more) after I figure out time code vs clock source etc.

From my understanding a clock is what keeps multiple tracks of audio(and midi) from drifting apart and becoming out of sync. I know that time code is what is used in video editing to keep everything in sync and also to help organize things =)

Sabith

MIDI clock is a code that keeps the beat, like a metronome. I e it gives a "click" for each part of a beat (I THINK it's once every 1/96th note?).
MIDI Time code is a code that tells the time.
It say "It is now 0 hours, 20 minutes 15 seconds and 12 hundreds of a second since the start".
When syncing MTC means that you can start anywhere in the song, and your sequencers or whatever will go from there. With MIDI clock, you have to start from the beginning each time. So MTC is better, but fewer equipments understand it.

Thanks for your help. I think I am getting it sorted out.... gotta love technology!!

Back