Is there a way to make recording from a low-end parabolic mike

Joe T

I have a low-end parabolic microphone which sends the amplified sounds to a headphone jack.
pm08-1.jpg

Is there some kind of adapter that will allow this headphone output to be plugged into a microphone input jack? I'd like to record from this into a sound activated recording device. That device could be a dedicated digital voice recorder, or an ITouch / IPhone with is running a sound activated recording application, or a PC/Laptop.

I don't know anything about the details of the electronics for the parabolic mike. It does take a 9 volt battery if that is of any help. I tried plugging the output into sound recording apps in my ITouch and PC but no sounds were being recorded.

Thank you.

Headphone output into a microphone input? What exactly do you mean by "sound activated recording device"? What is that? What type of cable is coming out of the mic? What do you want to connect it to? And then what? Sorry, but I have no idea as to what you're trying to do. Maybe try 6 AAA batteries instead of the 9 volt.

Try plugging the mic into the mic input of a PC or laptop.
You will almost certainly have to go into Windows Sound menus, find the device and then "Levels" and crank it down from 100 to about 3% to prevent distortion.

You will need some recording software. Audacity will do for tests. If all that works you can start to work out why that new fangled "I Thingy" didn't, can't be doing with the *%!! me'self!

I always tell noobs, "Once you stray off the beaten track of "buyable", "pluggable" gear you need some electronics nonce and a solder iron!"

Dave.

'Sound activated recording device' - I bet this person wants to set this thing up to secretly record someone ... :wtf:

Hi tech spy gadgetry on a budget?
Snooper has a free trial. Snooper - Sound/Voice activated recording software for Windows
These 4 New 3pin XLR Male to 1 4 TRS Stereo Balanced Mic Microphone Cord Cable Adapter | eBay + any length mic cable should get a signal to your interface. Attenuation can be handled with two resistors and a capacitor (you'll need to figure out the loads and google the specs).
Budget friendly!
No, probably not. It'll probably get you silence when the mic pre subtracts the left signal from the right signal, given that they must be both the same because the mic itself is mono.

The output from the microphone is probably pretty close to line level already. It doesn't need a mic pre. To plug it into an iPhone you would need a special cable which connects either T or R from the mic side to the second R on the phone side. IDK if there's something specifically available to for that, but two of these and one of these would probably do it, if you cross the colors correctly.

To get into anything else, you'd probably want about the same thing, except you only really need the white and red, or actually just the white since they're both the same anyway, and you'd be better off getting the cable with the end that fits in whatever hole you're trying to stick it in than try to get an adapter.

Thank your for your ideas. Yes there is a hidden agenda -- to gatherer 'evidence' that neighbors barking dog is a nuisance. I used to like dogs before a certain neighbor acquired a certain dog. Could go on and on about it but we are in the wrong forum for that topic and I don't really want to go there -- it's an open sore.

Used to think of myself as having some technical know how-how but am feeling pretty clueless right now when it comes to recording technology. So thank you for the ideas and giving me something to look into.

Sorry, but I have no idea as to what you're trying to do.
Neither do I. That's why I'm here. Hopefully I can learn the language and communicate what you need to know.

Last edited:
Back