Is there an audible difference between a $2000 and $200 audio interface?

lastrenman365

I do alot of vocal work as a singer and also voiceovers. I record using an AKG C214 and Blue Baby Bottle into a Focusrite 4i2 (Gen 1), on a Mac Pro late 2013, logic pro x recording software. All plugins are software and are basically the ones that come with Logic. The quality of my recordings are okay but I would not put them in the professional studio category. I would like to update to a higher quality audio interface if that will make an audible difference. The problem is that most of these audio interfaces that cost a lot more money, seem to have a lot more inputs and outputs and I don't need more.

Universal Audio Apollo 8 looks like its pretty sophisticated, but not sure what it does differently than the Focusrite. Its very expensive ($1999). Is it worth the price? What about the MOTU 624 - ($795). I understand that the the microphones I am using are going to limit me as well. If I did change the audio interface is that going to make a bigger difference than if I keep the audio interface and upgrade the mics?

Most interfaces are comprised of two components, the mic pre or analog section, and the digital converters. For digital conversion, the consumer level interfaces are pretty much all the same. When you get into the high end units, like Lavry, there is some difference. But among the consumer and prosumer level, the converters function at about the same quality.

The mic pres can make a difference. Focusrite has a good reputation for nice clean sounding mic pres. They might be a step above other interfaces in their price range. But for that difference to be heard, other things need to be in place. A good recording room and mic. I think the AKG C214 is supposed to be a good mic. I have not used it. Then you'll need a good monitoring system, including the room.

When you start looking at the UAD Apollo, there is more of a commitment than just the interface. The Apollo not only acts as the interface, but it can also process plug-ins onboard. UAD has a function called Unison which allows you to put a plug-in in the channel strip and actually control the mic pre section of the interface. You can adjust gain and impedance and the plug will emulate high-end consoles or mic pres. It's pretty cool. So, buying the Apollo means you will be buying UAD plugs, as well. In this case, the price difference reflects the added functions of the interface and proprietary plugs.

I have the focusrite 2i2 which I use on occasion where I need some portability. It sounds good and works fine for me. I also have the UAD Apollo 8 and I love that thing. I love being able to put a plug right into the mic section and get a Neve console or an old UA 610. I can load up a bass amp sim or guitar sims and there is zero latency.

UAD makes the Apollo Twin which might be a better fit for your needs, if you're thinking of going that route.

Is the analog section on the UAD any better than the Focusrite? I don't know. It probably is, but not by a staggering, noticeable amount. My ears aren't so discerning that I can tell the difference.

I can hear a difference when I use the mic pre emulation plugs, but for a straight no plug comparison, I don't think there is a lot of difference.

Hope this helps a little.

Before spending that kind of money .... How are you judging the sound of your recordings? (How are you mixing?) What monitors do you have? Is your tracking (and mixing) room acoustically treated?

Amplifying, sort of, [MENTION=39487]mjbphoto's[/MENTION] reply...

Serious room treatment makes a BIG difference, if you haven't done that.

Next I'd consider a preamp before an interface upgrade, if you really want to impact the sound, but I'm not sure what you're actually looking for. (The stock compressors in Logic Pro X give you a very big "palette" of colors to apply to your tracks, of course, and can do that without actually compressing, if you set them that way.)

Finally, there may be other microphone choices if you have that kind of $ to spend that will also make noticeable differences, but that depends a lot on the singer and what you're ultimately mixing the vocal track in with, again IMO. Ultimately, the vocal performance, along with the rest of the tracks and your mixing chops are what people are hearing first.

Yes there will be a slight difference between a $200 and $2000 interface but it will likely be subtle.

As others have said, you’ll get far more dramatic changes with a new mic (and changed mic positions and techniques), acoustic treatment of your room—and likely better monitoring. If I had $1800 to spend, those are the directions I’d look at first.

Gotta go with keith on this one. I would go to your local music store and audition mic pre/compressor/eq combos. Voiceover benefits from a hardware compressor most of the time and having an eq will help make up for some room deficiencies. Auditioning in a stores "Room" will give you an idea of how it can work at its best. Make sure you use the same model mics as you have at home. I would next look at auditioning mics-it really doesn't matter how expensive a mic or interface or whatever is as long as it sounds best in your application.

Thanks to all of those who responded. So if I go the microphone route and upgrade to a Neumann U87 but plug into the Focusrite, am I wasting $3500?

Beware of the idea of spending the crimble food budget on a pre amp and then plugging it into the 2i2? You can fall foul of gain staging, even over load problems, in short, the 2i2 (or to be fair most budget AIs) are not designed to handle the +22dBu and more exiting a 'pro' pre amp. In any case, unless you want some sort of 'colour' or attitude from a pre amp, the 2i2 (and most other AIs again these days) pres are easily good enough.

Otherwise I agree with most of the above but might put even more emphasis on monitoring? If you really cannot run to top range speakers AND room treatment look to really good headphones.

Whatever has been said about the U87 the new ones are not the same as the old, and a good old'un will COST! There is a review of a U87 clone in one of the 2017 sound on sound mags, have a Googe!

Dave.

Thanks to all of those who responded. So if I go the microphone route and upgrade to a Neumann U87 but plug into the Focusrite, am I wasting $3500?

You have an issue with the quality of your recordings that you won't necessarily solve by throwing money at interfaces or microphones.

You need to throw the money at where you will realise the biggest benefit.

That means you need to understand the totality of the recording system and what each component of that system contributes to the final quality. Your recording environment is critical. Your monitoring system is critical. Your recording skills and techniques are critical. These days, interfaces and mikes are not so critical.

IMG_0944.png

Let's see if this appears right side up.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpeg
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0944.jpeg
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
IMG_0944.png

The photo is taken by the door to this crawl space/closet. No acoustic treatment aside from some egg crate material on the door. Any suggestions?

View attachment 101395

The photo is taken by the door to this crawl space/closet. No acoustic treatment aside from some egg crate material on the door. Any suggestions?

Yes! Lots! Egg crates do Jack, replace with underlay and carpet*. The space between the studs could be filled with GF or rockwool etc without impinging on the space. Hand an absorbent panel, big as you like, 6" deep filled with GF of similar in front of the window. Hang more heavy clothes in there.

*Out in a room, for things like acoustic guitar a hard floor can be useful. And, looks about a mtr wide? Other dims please.

Dave.

I'm not sure that the idea of spending $3500 on technology that you will use in a closet is the wisest investment.

I'd recommend getting out of the closet and into the biggest room you have, record in there and see what the results are like. Then decide how to spend your money. And don't spend it on egg crates.

I'm not sure that the idea of spending $3500 on technology that you will use in a closet is the wisest investment.

:thumbs up:

Which is also the answer about the difference between a $200 and $2000 interface. The $2000 interface will only make a difference if the rest of your setup is on that same level.

Get out of the closet! Seriously.
And how are you doing your monitoring to judge your sound? Hopefully not also in the closet.

When I moved from a $150 M-Audio Delta 44 to a $1500 RME FireFace UCX, I could tell a remarkable difference in latency, converter quality, and quality of RME's integrated preamps (I was previously using a Yamaha MG series mixer for its preamps into the Delta 44). I routinely make multiple round-trips from the RME outputs to hardware back to the RME inputs with no signal degradation that I can hear. So my vote is that yes, it makes a difference.

But, having recently used entry-level interfaces from Behringer and Roland, I must say that preamp quality is very high at this point in time for entry-level gear. Much better than it was when I was using the D44 and MG mixer. Honestly, if anything is holding you back from making great sounding music, it's probably not the preamps or coverters in your interface. There are bigger fish to fry in most home studios. But if you have the cash and the desire, don't let anybody talk you out of upgrading your interface. Just don't expect it to magically make all of your music awesome all of a sudden.

Back