Are there any instruments you wish you could play but don't ?

I'm lucky that I've been able to get to a decentish level on virtually everything I've tried - BUT - brass has been a disaster. Sax and clarinet no problem - but I can't stand the tingling that blowing raspberries into a mouthpiece produces. It feels like millions of ants crawling from my lips up my face and I physically have to rub my mouth. Tried trumpet and trombone and the feeling is the same. I can even do the fingering on the trumpet, and understand the slide positions on the trombone - but three notes is enough to make me seriously disturbed in the tingle department. Even typing this, has started it off again. Weird and damn annoying. Reeds don't do it, just the raspberry sound into a mouthpiece, even without being attached to the instrument. Must have sensitive lips!

I'd like a cello, too, although I can get by with plugins. My hands are too big for violin, although I have one.

A friend had me over to do some work on their house, she'd just upgraded to a "decent" cello. She said it was almost $10,000 and asked me if I wanted to look at it. I just laughed and said she'd be safer if I just looked at it from ten feet away.

I'm lucky that I've been able to get to a decentish level on virtually everything I've tried - BUT - brass has been a disaster. Sax and clarinet no problem - but I can't stand the tingling that blowing raspberries into a mouthpiece produces. It feels like millions of ants crawling from my lips up my face and I physically have to rub my mouth. Tried trumpet and trombone and the feeling is the same. I can even do the fingering on the trumpet, and understand the slide positions on the trombone - but three notes is enough to make me seriously disturbed in the tingle department. Even typing this, has started it off again. Weird and damn annoying. Reeds don't do it, just the raspberry sound into a mouthpiece, even without being attached to the instrument. Must have sensitive lips!

I'm with ya! I tried a trumpet once (even bought one... what was I thinking?) and absolutely couldn't stand the feeling of playing it... sold it not log after and lost several hundred bucks, but I knew brass was not for me...

a tabla player

My first instrument!

With that said that's my answer to this question lol. I started playing tabla when i was 6 and took some lessons for a couple months. then when i was 8 i stopped. It's not that I cant play them, I just havent found a way to integrate them into tracks without sounding out of place.

I can play many instruments. I am reasonably competent on guitars, and moderately competent on keys and percussion. I wish I could play any instrument really well. However, more than anything, I wish my fingers would do my brain's bidding on piano. I just don't have the dexterity to play what I can hear in my head.

Piano. My dad was a pianist but I never learned. I could never master playing two different things with each hand. I guess thats why I'm a guitarist lol

The one instrumrent I regret not learning is sax. Whenever I've tried anything in the reed and/or brass family all I get is farting noises and a lot of drool on my shoes!!!

I've been able to develop fairly decent chops on anything that I can hit or strum (drums, percussions, keys, guitar, bass, violin, lap & pedal steel, mandolin, uke, banjo and recently I've started to learn sitar ........ but if I have to blow, forget about it (other than harmonica, I can somehow manage to get that to work - oh, and a kazoo - I can kick butt on kazoo). I do want to improve on violin and pedal steel ..... but alas, there are only so many hours in the day.

Thankfully, there are sound libraries that give me acess to sax & brass "sounds" - but nothing can simulate a well played sax.

Oh - and Jews Harp - I can not get a decent sound (and I have really tried) - all I manage to do is get a toothache!

Back