Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: That's IT!!! I've had it!!!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    HI Bobby, I assume you mistyped connection 3 in this one:
    1: Keyboard controller's MIDI out to MIDIsport MIDI Interface's IN
    2: MIDISport MIDI Interface's OUT A to SD2 MIDI IN
    3: SD2 MIDI OUT to Mackie IN
    4: Mackie MAIN OUT to Alesis Monitor Speakers.
    And actually had the audio out of the SD2 to the Mackie input.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks

Thumbs up Bobby... I see you're getting there.

I have 3 keyboards... and an Axon midi module as well as the JV1010.

I series connect all my midi gear and pick out what I like, at least I used to years ago. The sound is good, but you have to control the mix/panning you're getting on each device.

I have a Casio WK keyboard - has good Casio sounds. A Korg TritonLE - has good Korg sounds. I also on occasion used to run them each individually (a separate midi cable to each) with no chaining.

Each midi cable carries 16 channels with an instrument on each. I'm not so sure about the JV1010 (I believe it has a GM setting), but all my other devices can play 16 different instruments each at the same time. I do have my favorite instrument sounds based on the type of music I am recording.

What tied all my midi together is the MOTU MTP/AV. It has 8 midi in & 8 midi out ports to support up to 128 simultaneous midi instruments playing multiple notes at the same time. The MTP/AV also has full clocking capabilities including striping tape and video sync.

I own a WX-5 windsynth and also play sax, among other instruments, so things could really be complicated as far as routing. Personally I'm still a hardware guy -- low/no latency.

With midi & plugins there is latency. My latest goto method is write notation in Finale and export a midi file. Work with the midi in Reaper & the FA-08. Make a midi file(s) when I'm happy. Print the midi to audio (wav) using the FA-08 -- walk away, coffee, etc. and come back.

Take ALL the audio waves (1 per midi channel) and load them into Reaper. Mix them down through my 896mk3Hy io interface using CueMix into 8 stereo channels, feed that into my VS-2480 and then feed that back via digital stereo into Reaper to record.

I use a few VST plugins on both ends in Reaper, a little compression & reverb in CueMix, main effects in the VS-2480 as well as LA2A/1176LN compression & mastering effects.

The VST plugin route for instruments will allow you to keep the midi separated on separate audio channels. I use the FA-08 for almost all of my instrument sounds now. I solely work with wav files after the FA-08 converts them from midi. It would take me a while to hook everything up the way I want it... but it might happen.

I have a TC-Helicon VoiceLive rack for harmonies... adding choirs and what not. And I rarely use my GSP1101 at all... I'm actively putting out and selling cds, but it all takes time to hook everything up right. Sadly, I haven't done it yet.

If you're just getting started and not a lot of money invested along the way, it seems VST for everything and reWire is the way to go these days.

I have hardware for all my sounds, i.e., my various keyboards and modules, but I'm only using my FA-08 right now. With keyboards/modules I don't have full routing capability for each instrument/section. This leads to not being able to put different effects on say, a french horn vs strings section.

To me, if I apply effects to a whole keyboard or module, even with panning or 11-band eq, it just doesn't sound real to me. VST's are already on their own channel and can be routed just like audio tracks. I can run everything all at once and do mixing and mastering in one take with the only final process being to print to cd, etc.
    Last edited by LivingEdge; 3 Days Ago at 01:53.

Thanks
    Bobby, Reaper is a fine program. If u need direct in for guitar and mic, I would suggest Behringer for 50 or 100 bucks. I just got the 1202 USB because I needed phantom power for my condenser mic. IKMultimedia makes a nice suite of sounds on a budget price. The guitars aren't so great, but other than that, they have some great retro synths. Maybe a Reaper forumnpost will help your technical problems.

Thanks
    Bobby,

There's nothing I could recommend more highly than this set of videos:

First MIDI Song in REAPER

You'll learn a lot and it'll be fun! Promise.

Thread Information