Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: That's IT!!! I've had it!!!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Look under Preferences. You will find a place to specify the folder where the plugin dll file go.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Robus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Myer View Post
    Hi Travis!!!

Thanks for the link... I've been there all morning, downloading a ton of their stuff. My problem now is, where do I unzip them so that I can use them in Reaper?
    I'm dying to try them out!!!

Bobby
    You can unzip them anywhere. However, when you do unzip them, you then need to tell Reaper where to find them.

It is handy to create a folder somewhere that's instantly recognisable, e.g. 'vst plugins'.

Unzip your plugins into this folder.

Open Reaper, then go to "options", then "preferences", then "plugins", then "VST".

Where it shows "VST Plugins Settings", click on the "Add . . ." button. This will allow you to navigate to the folder in which you've unzipped your plug-ins anbd add it to the plugin path.

Click on "Re-scan". This tells Reaper to go and find all the plug ins that are in the folder.

You're done.

To use a vst quickly. go to "Insert", then "Virtual instrument on new track". This will add a new track, set up to record a midi input, and bring up a dialog box with all the VSTs listed.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Dave... No... I'm not in the UK... I'm up here in the great white north which is called Canada.

Thanks
    Well... progress is being made - I think. I am now able to see and assign my VSTi in Reaper.

There is a problem, however. Somehow I lost the ASIO driver I was using. With all the messing around with things I know nothing about over these past few days, it doesn't surprise me.

Another question: Do I have to use an ASIO driver specific to Reaper? If so, could someone point me in the right direction to get it?

If I can use any ASIO driver, where would I get this?

Forgive me for being such a pain in the butt... Seems I've gotten myself into a spot where I know nothing about what I'm doing anymore.

Bobby

Thanks
    Your ASIO drivers should be specific to yoru interface, but since you only have a MIDI interface, not audio, not sure they matter. How do you listen to music from your computer, the built-in soundcard?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Bobby,

Just got home from work. Those other good guys have you taken care of with answers, it seems.

I will add that whenever I download a VST or VSTI and get to the point where you can browse for the download location, I go ahead and find my VST folder and that way everything goes there. The .dll files are the main files you need, but you can dump the whole download into the VST folder and Reaper gets what it needs. Some downloads will require a rar extraction and you may need to get a free rar tool for that. All of it is easy after a while.

Have you noticed how easy Reaper is on your CPU? It's really light. And after a while, you might try some of the free skins for Reaper that make it easier to navigate or be like your previous DAW. Another good thing to do is, inside the Reaper FX browser (view/fxbrowser) you can make catagories for all your instruments and effects. It makes it much nicer when you want to select a reverb, compressor or piano, for instance; you have them all together. The search function is handy too. Reaper is very deep if you want it to be, but also can be simple...luckily for me!

You don't need a driver for Reaper, but for your interface and maybe some of your keyboards and other hard gear may require a driver. Getting your interface settings set up can be tough at first. I also like to turn off Windows internal audio as I mentioned before. "Audioserv" I believe it's called and can be found via Control-Alt-Delete, then task manager, then services and find "audioserv" and turn it off.
    It's obsolete already??

10. The Following User Says Thank You to foxwaves For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And so... I've decided to close up everything for the night. Tomorrow I'm going to pull everything pertaining to music out, and start all over again, wire by wire. Who knows... maybe a miracle will happen?

Bobby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Your ASIO drivers should be specific to yoru interface, but since you only have a MIDI interface, not audio, not sure they matter. How do you listen to music from your computer, the built-in soundcard?
    I listen to my music and everything else on my computer through the on board sound card. For music I have a Mackie USB mixer with reference speakers. Also, there's no drivers needed for the Mackie, but both DAWs warn me that there isn't any ASIO driver detected.

Bobby

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Hi Dave... No... I'm not in the UK... I'm up here in the great white north which is called Canada.
    Ok, well thank you for Cath Ryan. Quite the most beautiful, funniest lady ever. We are NOT giving her back!

Dave.

Thanks
    I listen to my music and everything else on my computer through the on board sound card. For music I have a Mackie USB mixer with reference speakers. Also, there's no drivers needed for the Mackie, but both DAWs warn me that there isn't any ASIO driver detected.

Bobby
    So you send sound out through USB to the Mackie? Try downloading Asio4All as the driver.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information