Tascam US-1800 problems - popping/hissing, won't play audio, latency etc

willfenix

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a Tascam US-1800 interface and have it installed on my Windows Vista 32bit PC with Cubase LE5 installed. Everything installed fine and it detects it as the primary playback/recording device, but I am having one huge problem. Whenever it is plugged in, there is a consistent, rhythmic popping sound in the headphones/speakers. I have gone into the control panel and adjusted settings, switched USB ports (they are USB 2.0 ports also), I've tried to update drivers (they were already the latest), tried all different settings in Cubase, everything I can think of. And it does this AT ALL TIMES, not just in Cubase. Weirdly, I ran TRacks on it's own (mastering software), because I remembered that I had some issues when first running TRacks with Audio not playing properly and was able to change the settings to make it work - and I set the Audio hardware settings to the US-1800 with DirectX (as opposed to ASIO) and loaded a .wav file, and it played it back perfectly through the US-1800.

What the hell is going on? I am at my wits end with this infernal popping. It seems to definitely be some issue with bitrate or latency, but despite all my efforts I can't get it to go away. I can't imagine it is an issue of the computer not being able to handle the interface, it is relatively new, I have 2 gigs of ram and I haven't even tried to record multiple tracks because I haven't been able to get this problem to go away (for example, when Windows loads and it makes the little opening musical sound, you can hear it playing in the bits and pieces of the pops, just all chopped up). Can anyone help? Thank you for your time, if anyone has any advice please get back to me when you get the chance.

Also, I had previously tried to set up the interface on another computer and it did the same exact thing, so if it makes any difference it is doing it on multiple machines. The other computer was also Vista 32 bit.

hey guys have you tried the 2.02 driver for windows? Product: US-1800 | TASCAM sounds a silly question i know but i have the tascam us 1641 the one before the 1800 and i had the same issues when i first got it. try the driver update and if that doesnt work then im sure there will be an update soon. if the new driver doesnt work then reinstall the old driver and do the restart straight away.

I would love to know if anybody has figured this one out. I have had my tascam 1800 for about 4 months now and this really pisses me off. My problem seems a little less bad. I can get it to work for a little while but it will start doing it at completely random times, sometimes even while just listening to songs on the computer which therefore obviously has nothing to do overload from too many tracks or anything else like that. I also figured it was a driver problem and tried reinstalling but this didn't work. I am convinced it's a driver issue. If that's the case...when is Tascam going to get on this. I wrote their support team an e-mail. They told me they couldn't help me until I call them. I haven't done it yet, but I am almost sure they will find nothing to fix it. I have been reading forums for months trying to figure this out. Anybody heard anything that might be helpful?

Back