Tascam us 1800 gain

Zach Frazier

Im using a Tascam US 1800 with 8 Samson mics and I notice when I go to adjust the gain levels on each individual mic I have to barely move the gain knob. At most I am turning the gain up to 15-20% from zero. Any higher than that I will clip the track. I don't know if this is normal or what. Also when the gain is set to zero or completely at 0, I will still get a sound coming through the mics and almost be halfway up my fader in reaper. Didn't know if that was normal either. Any help greatly appreciated.

I recorded drums for years with the 1800 and 1641. Same deal. Usually preamp gain full down for kick, snare, toms with close mics.

That is normal for drums. Most freak out if they can't get enough signal with gain boosted with 57's. Either pussy players or a setup issue usually. :)

Consider yourself good to go man. :)

I am curious, what does 'halfway up my fader' mean in reaper? -18dBFS or so is recommended for most recording input level, but I typically go to -6 with percussion instruments as a norm. It just happens and works there for me.

Back