Tascam US-122 Problems (Mono?)

chicophi235

Greetings -

I'm fairly new to home recording, and VERY new to my Tascam US-122.

Here's my problem:

No matter what recording program I use (Cubase, Soundforge, Creative WaveStudio), my Tascam US-122 only records to the side of a stereo track that the microphone is plugged into.

Let me explain further:

There are the "MIC IN L" and "MIC IN R" inputs. If I plug my Shure SM58 into "MIC IN L," my resulting stereo track has sound only on the L channel (or sometimes, a TINY bit on the R). Vice versa (plugging into the R input) causes the opposite effect.

This can't be normal... Why would you only be able to record to half a stereo track?

By recording a mono track, and then converting that track into stereo has worked for now, but that's a temporary solution.

Please help! It appears that the Tascam unit is installed properly. I simply can't get it to record one XLR input to both L and R channels.

If it helps, I noticed in Cubase that my VST Outputs showed only "US122L" instead of both "US122L" and "US122R," as I've read online that they're supposed to. I've followed all the directions for proper setup, though!

Thanks for any help you could offer.

A microphone is a monaural signal. If you route it to one side of a stereo track, of course you hear it on just that side.

Normally one records mono tracks and pans them in the output towards the left or right speakers.

/\/\/\/\/\ What Al said. You need to be recording to a mono track in your software. Recording to a stereo track adds no benefit when using a single mic, as it is not a stereo signal.

This can't be normal... Why would you only be able to record to half a stereo track?
If I'm recording a single mic I record in mono, not stereo. I set the software's recording attributes to record a mono track. If I'm using two mic's I record either to two separate mono tracks or to a stereo track. Recording a mono signal to two tracks doesn't buy you anything.

If, after the fact, I want to artificially "stereoize" a mono track I can do that with various techniques, but it's a separate step.

Tim

Back