Thread: Tascam DP-24: Importing custom .wav files?

phaneron is offline New Member
    Thanks

Tascam DP-24: Importing custom .wav files?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey there,

I recently bought a Tascam DP-24 and after a few hours working with it I am starting to wonder if it is possible to import .wav files in a way that I can assign them to different tracks on the machine. The .wav files are part of a song I made in a DAW.
    The mixer channels are split up so that there is, in one file, only percussion, in another theres only synhts and so on; I put them on the SD Card over USB connection and tried different folder placements (Music & Audio Depot), but I cannot seem to be able to make them appear on the DP-24, hence I cannot assign any custom .wav's to the channels on the machine.
    When I created a song on the DP-24 with no recorded tracks and then put in the sample files on the computer, it would just give me a file error. (EDIT: they are rather loops than samples; they are sequenced in the way they appear in the song, only split up into different instruments)
    When I placed them into the audio depot folder, they simply would not show up on the machine, like there were no files to import.

I am pretty new to home recording, and hope you can help me with this one!
    Thanks in advance!

DM60 is offline 12th and Bridge
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaneron View Post
    Hey there,

I recently bought a Tascam DP-24 and after a few hours working with it I am starting to wonder if it is possible to import .wav files in a way that I can assign them to different tracks on the machine. The .wav files are part of a song I made in a DAW.
    The mixer channels are split up so that there is, in one file, only percussion, in another theres only synhts and so on; I put them on the SD Card over USB connection and tried different folder placements (Music & Audio Depot), but I cannot seem to be able to make them appear on the DP-24, hence I cannot assign any custom .wav's to the channels on the machine.
    When I created a song on the DP-24 with no recorded tracks and then put in the sample files on the computer, it would just give me a file error. (EDIT: they are rather loops than samples; they are sequenced in the way they appear in the song, only split up into different instruments)
    When I placed them into the audio depot folder, they simply would not show up on the machine, like there were no files to import.

I am pretty new to home recording, and hope you can help me with this one!
    Thanks in advance!
    I don't own one of these, so I cannot help directly, but there must be something in the instruction manual that tells you how to get the machine to pick it up. I would assume it is folder placement, or file naming convention as those are the two most likely ways. If not, then there would need to be some type of import/export tool to update the table indexing (like a database, could just be a text file) that the machine uses to know what files goes where. Sometime this is referred to as a FAT file, or index file, but there has to be some way for the machine to know what files go with what project and where.
    David Ableton Live 9, Win7 & 8, Reaper, Presonus USB, M-Audio 192, Tascam 1800
    SoundCloud: DM60

ecc83 is offline Three Thousand and Counting
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Check page 82 of the manual.
    It says you CAN import .wav files then gives you several caveats as to why you might have problems!

Dave.

DM60 is offline 12th and Bridge
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Check page 82 of the manual.
    It says you CAN import .wav files then gives you several caveats as to why you might have problems!

Dave.
    So, it looks like (computer geek talk) that the load folder is the AudioDepot Folder. So the machine knows that is the import/export folder, you bring up the menu that uses a utility and then indexes it correctly. I will be honest, this seems pretty straight forward. Might take a few practices, but it seems not to be too complex.

Based on what I read, make sure that you pay close attention to the bit rate (44/48) set for the song. That must match. I would also, just to be safe, be careful with special characters and spaces (I always use '_" for spaces to be sure).
    David Ableton Live 9, Win7 & 8, Reaper, Presonus USB, M-Audio 192, Tascam 1800
    SoundCloud: DM60

Thread Information