Tascam DP-02 CD volume is too low

Dcompau

I recorded everything just below led flashing level, made a master, which was loud in my speakers and headphones. Burnt a CD, and can barely hear it. What did I do wrong? What should I check or try?

First of all, you are recording way too hot. Nothing should be anywhere near "just below led flashing level". You want to record tracks at an average level of about -12db to -18db, with your peaks at about -6db at the most. I know that's probably hard to believe and sounds way too low if you're used to recording just below red flashing level, but it's not.

Your final mix being low in volume is normal. You're comparing it to mastered CD's, which have been limited/compressed for volume. If you want to get the volume of your stereo mix louder, the fast way to do that is to take your finished mix, bring it back into your DAW, stick a limiter on it and raise the volume that way.

Hello I bought the dp02 little while ago, did my tracks ,mastered uploded to hard drive burnt c d just like you said no volume ,,, the funny part is ,the tascam tech guy said , raise the master volume to nine , of course that didn't work then they said raise the input level when recording , thats how i did it in the first pl....my question ,did that answer you got here work out,,,,,, thanks

With all due respect to RAMI, caus his tracks are invariably great,...

I found when using my DP02cf that the best results were achieved on tracking and the mix/master track when the LCD "meters" were just "tickling" the top (not slamming). I would also take multiple passes and proof the master track before I thought it had enough amplitude, by importing it to the puter and playing it back on Windows Media Player using the "scope" visualization. By doing this, I could see better in visual terms certain aspects of the fidelity. That's what worked best for me, and I experimented a fair amount with it. My first few master-track attempts definitely lacked volume. Admittedly, preamp gain and the "meters" on the DP02 are barely adequate. That's MO. YMMV.
:spank::eek:;)

"Louder" fools people into thinking it sounds better. In the digital world, it's not better to track louder.

Avoid trying to get master during the mixing stage, usually the best results come from mastering being a separate process. Make the mix as dynamic as possible according to genre you working on. Then create a new session import your mix and this time working with a stereo bounce

Had the same probelm just record the levels high but watch the levels on recording not to high because it will distort.

Back