Tape Speed problems

kp174

Hi everyone,

This past weekend my band recorded our practice on my tascam 414 potrastudio. When I went home and plugged in the headphones to listen to it, all I seem to get is a high pitched chipmunk rendition of the practice. I can't seem to figure out whats going on!! Good thing no question is a dumb one or I'd be in trouble...

Hmmm - did you record on a 414 (original) and are now playing it back on a 414 mkII?? The 414 records at normal tape speed but the MkII runs at double speed for improved response.

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Does the 414 have a tape speed control on it? If so, make sure it's set correctly on Normal or High, whichever you recorded on.

I only record on that machine, and I checked for a tape speed switch. At first I thought it might have been the pitch control dial, but I am positive it was completely centered when I recorded? any other suggestions?

Something to try....

Shit happens, and maybe the tape speed dial or switch got moved before you recorded.

Try slowing it down and see if the pitch gets to normal again.

Also. I remember way back when in my Fostex X-26 4 track cassette days, every once in a while when I would hit play, the tape would run at a much faster speed. Once, this was because the tape was not seated properly. Another time, I just sort of banged the side of the machine a few times and the problem would go away.

Good luck.

Ed

Back