Taking a music production course

pza4lyfe

How did everyone learn music production and how to use your preferred DAW? I tried the youtube tutorial route, but there seems to be a large knowledge gap of what the youtubers seem to assume you already know and the basics of everything. And when people say to just open up your DAW and practice making music and you'll eventually understand, it's overwhelming to know where to start when you're staring at a huge gray space (literally for Ableton).

If you're starting from an absolute beginner's starting point, would you recommend taking a music production course? Is it worth it or should I just try messing around in Ableton by myself a little longer? There are some cheap courses I'm seeing on Udemy ($15 https://www.udemy.com/ultimate-ableton-live-complete/ ) that goes through Ableton, but not sure if it's worth my time. The ultimate goal is to start producing music, not just learn everything about a DAW.

Me? I spent hours experimenting and practicing. The only time I EVER use a youtube video, which in the main waste hours of your life, is for a specific query. Like - how to do X, and I can't work it out myself. I zip off to youtube, or often google with real words, and once I find where the menu is hidden or some strange routing I didn't realise was needed, I get back to learning it for myself.

I was around when music technology started to be delivered by colleges, and taught it for a long time.

College courses, for the large part, could be excellent, but are messed up by people who really have no interest, but get equal access to the kit and studio time. They usually involve recording modules, and to get the most out of these, you need access to decent musicians. If you find you are with a bunch of dead head metal addicts with no musical ability you are stuck. If your production course is a high level, not general education course then you can gain an awful lot more, but again - studio time will be precious. Less idiots of course, because they are all paying for the course with real money, not the tax payers.

Now the tricky part - learning styles. Many different types, and I reckon this is probably the real decision maker. Some people learn by doing it different ways.

Me - I learn best from touching, fiddling, experimenting and NOT from somebody telling me, showing me, showing me power points. I dislike learning in public, I need to do it privately. I learn quickly from actually doing the job. I pick up manual skills reasonably quickly - but best when I already know how to do them, by having done decent research, and then putting the knowledge to the test for real.

Other people MUST go on a course. They cannot learn for themselves. They must have things explained in words, then diagrams - some MUST write it down or it doesn;t sink in.

Some folk MUST have their learning in their chosen style or it doesn't stick. Others still learn, but slowly.

Some can vary their learning speed, others cannot.

Some cannot learn without a thorough understanding of the science and process in their heads first. Others learn this bit by bit as required.

We're all different, but courses should be designed for either particular groups, or generic enough to bore everyone equally. This is what colleges do. Teach everyone at the same time, averagely. NOT the teachers fault in many cases, simply not enough time to do it properly.

I go on lots of very technical and deep courses, and while people are queuing up to do the flashy stuff, I just watch that, and join in 100% with the real dull stuff the others ignore, because I get more time with the kit, and can talk to the instructors. On a recent studio camera course, the younger ones are all running around with Steadicams attached to themselves, while I am learning how to gas up a studio ped and mount a box lens on the camera. Two weeks later I spend three says in the studio on a decent fee using these new skills as if I've been doing them for years. Nobody would have paid me to do wobblycam with a Steadicam. Same thing with TV sound - all the music studio experience matches what they do, bar a bit that's totally different - and that is what I want training on.

Youtube video from the manufacturers might appear a bit dull, but are designed to appeal a bit to every person's learning style. The dreadful home user or enthusiast youtube videos we laugh at are because they appeal to just that persons learning style - which invariably in the bad ones, makes huge assumptions about the viewer and either insults them or swooshes over their heads.

If you are considering a course you need to do homework. If it's a college course say starting September, then ask if you can go in for a day as a fly on the wall to see if what it is is what you need. Most decent colleges will allow this. Expensive let's use studio downtime for training courses will not. So ask for ex-student comments or perhaps contact info for people who have done it before and ask them.

Sorry this went on - but many courses are rubbish, with just a few gems - and you must match your needs to their offer.

Self-taught all the way. I started by mixing for friends' bands in high school. I was also a bit of an electronics geek, so I already knew how to use a multimeter, soldering iron, etc. I knew the difference between a speaker cable and an instrument cable and how to calculate impedance loads.

My first foray into recording was with a basic 4-track cassette portastudio. Eventually, I found out about computer based recording and Cubase. Learned everything as I went along. That's how I ended up here. I had a question and I googled it. The result brought me to homerecording, just like most everyone else who finds this place.

I would never take a music production class. I always envision them being taught by some washed-up engineer or producer who couldn't keep his studio going. Someone like this goy:

My experience with academically trained sound people is that they know more about running a $25k console than they do about aiming mics etc. But you have to start somewhere. I had a number of mentors who were critical at different points in my development, getting me past certain challenges. Without that it's reasonable to take a basic course in some specific area just to get started. That's one style of learning, but you can also visit forums like this for help.

Also self-taught, at a time long before Youtube existed. Thankfully this forum and some online tutorial websites did.

A few things I'll add to the above good responses is that some people have the technical knack for producing good mixes, some don't. Some people have good ears for it, some don't. You really don't know until you try.

You'll get conflicting feedback on priorities early on. Some will swear you can't even hit record the first time without tons of sound treatments, while others like me will suggest getting a set of lower end monitors to start off, learn how some reference CDs (store bought music) sound on them, then mix based on how those monitors work in the space you have. If you decide this is something to get serious about, THEN invest in the treatments and better playback equipment.

Expect to spend HOURS fiddling with tools and effects to learn what you can/can't do with them. Learn how buses work, how to route sound around a mixer/console. Learn how to stack effects (which you'll use a lot in a purely digital mixing environment), learn when it's appropriate to stack, and learn when/what to route to a bus.

From a musician standpoint, learning midi was a huge step forward and opened up many creative doors previously closed.

Ableton is rather a different beast. If you use the grid, clips, scenes, etc. It approaches music from such a different angle. While what everyone has said is true, Ableton actual goes one deeper into understanding sound in a way that is hard to explain. It was impossible to do what Ableton does 15-20 years ago.

I think learning as others have stated is good, but if you want to get through the learning curve, I think taking a quick Ableton course would be very helpful. There is a lot of stuff in Ableton and depending what you want to do with it, learning it will quickly help you decide. Then the other areas (tracking, micing, recording, VSTs) will kick in to help facilitate that.

I just think Ableton is such a game changer, it is worth understanding early to help get an idea of what you want to do.

I'm still learning about music production. It's like a long journey of trial and error and learning from others. I learned my daw slowly by doing specific tasks. You don't have to know your daw well at first cause it will come as you use it so don't be overwhelmed. Just learn basics first. Taking the course will probably help you get started but the music production part goes beyond the daw. You'll have to practice getting the music you have in your head, out of your head. It's gonna take a lot of time and effort and get better at it. I'm sure everyone on this site has spent countless hours learning and improving and working through frustrations. If you love it enough stick with it.

I looked at courses (mostly online) and my impression is they are silly expensive and a coin flip as to how much I'd really get out of them anyhow. There is still far (far) more I don't know than I do, but I don't want to put all that time/money into a course to listen to some guy go "OK today we learn what a DAW is" or "let's talk for an hour and a half about the different kind of mics." That's part of the inherent problem; they can't make a course that is all things to all people. I'd hoped to find someone local who would work with me on an hourly basis 1 to 1 so it would be far more customized and therefore more efficient, but no such luck.

Basically I would keep trying to plug away learning yourself using internet resources etc. It's much less efficient and not half as fun IMO as you're doing it yourself, but boatloads more cost effective and you can zoom in on exactly what you need to.

Back