Synthesizer / Home Studio Advice

lost_in_java

I want to build a modest home studio to channel my own creativity, but I really don't know where to begin and the advice I can find online is either way too general or way too specific.

I own:
MacBook Pro 15'' 2017

What I want is a keyboard/midi set up where I can use the keyboard as a piano at times and also use a synthesizer to create different sounds and beats - and then record everything on my laptop (and through my laptop). I've considered buying something like the Roland A-500Pro along with something like a Korg Micro Sampler - or skip the midi controller and buy something like a King Korg, but I don't really understand the advantages and disadvantages and I don't even know if either will do what I want it to do. I can't go into a store and discuss this with the clerks because they either don't speak English or they aren't very knowledgable. And most of the items will have to be ordered, so I can't even try them out.

Any suggestions or advice?

Assuming the Mac has a USB input (do they still fuss with such archaic things? :p ), you can buy just about any midi keyboard that has a USB output/connector. Your bigger question IMO should be 'what software do I need to buy'. Getting the keyboard signal into the laptop is the easier part. You'll need to choose a DAW (Reaper is free to try) and some software packages that emulate piano and synthesizers. If budget isn't an option, you could go with a package deal like Kontakt Komplete which will have drum sequences and numerous instruments to choose from.

The current MacBook Pro line up (and my unit, specifically) only have USB-C ports, but I have a USB Hub that has the more ubiquitous USB-A ports. I think my biggest question is what should I buy? I have some limits since I live overseas in Asia - and I'm not really near a very large city, but many options can be ordered from larger brands such as Roland, Korg, and Yamaha. As for software - that isn't a big issue because I can buy most of it online and download. The question stumping me at the moment is whether to buy a separate midi controller and synth or an all in one package... and if so, what? XPS-10 and 30 are available - as are the previously mentioned Korg and Roland devices. There are others - and if you can give me some suggestions I can ask my contacts here - but I'm just not sure which direction to turn.

As for budget - I'd like to keep it under $1,500 USD, but that isn't a hard cap.

Both a midi controller and synths send midi data out, so whichever you choose can be used as a controller for Virtual instruments or other synths in the computer or out. The upside of the synth, no computer necessary to play, just plug in some headphones. If you want to record you would need to get one that either sends audio out USB(not all do), or a separate audio interface. If you are not planning to record any voice or sources needing a microphone would mean an interface would be an extra expense. A controller does not generate any sound so it requires a computer or sound module. Most controllers can be found bundled with either recording software with some VI's or some sort of virtual sampler or something to get you started. Nowadays the major software synth manufacturers also sell hardware that operates there software natively which can be very handy. You can get very complex controllers that have assignable switches and knobs or just something basic. I think if you are just starting out I would say go with a basic model of either korg or roland synth or a bundled controller with say, Ableton live lite or se or whatever they sell.

So, if I planned on adding a mic and voice later - or an acoustic guitar - are you saying I should buy a separate controller? What is the point of a controller if a synth already sends midi data out?

I think I understand that a keyboard controller does not generate sound - which is why I thought about something like the Roland A-500 along with the Korg Micro Sampler. I'm not THAT worried about the software, since that seems far more interchangeable than the hardware - maybe I'm being naive about that point.

Can you give me a hypothetical set up (actual hardware recommendations) that would work/make logical sense with my laptop?

By the way, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. It seems like most of the info I've found online has either been way too specific to not really apply to my situation or way too general to be of any actual use, so you have all been great help.

Since you will be using the computer for sound out, and eventually recording with a microphone, you should invest in a good audio interface. At least two inputs, more if think you will have a need. Most get by with just two channel.

On the keyboard/controller, unless you really are a good keyboard player, then I would think a complete controller would be the best option. Main item on the controller would be, how the keys feel. I have an older controller, I am not a keyboard player, so I don't really care too much about the feel. My daughter on the other hand is a keyboard player and she wanted a full keyboard and weighted keys. You might want to keep that in mind.

Since you will be using the computer for sound out, and eventually recording with a microphone, you should invest in a good audio interface. At least two inputs, more if think you will have a need. Most get by with just two channel.

^^ This. You need to decide if you are definitely recording live vocals/instruments or not. Buy an interface if you are, but you can still plug the keyboard directly via USB if needed. You don't need an interface with a Midi input, and there's no technical advantage to using midi direct through the audio interface or through USB. Most keyboards are USB 2.0, and USB C is backwards compatible so a non-issue there.

You can buy an interface later on if you decide you want to record vocals or guitars. It won't change your current keyboard needs.

Ok. So, I think I'm going to start with a polyphonic synth and then build from there as this is becoming too complicated.

So, if I'm looking for a multi purpose poly synth that I can plug into my MacBook and use Logic Pro - not less than 61 keys...any suggestions? I seem to be honing in on either the Roland Juni Di or the King Korg. Any suggestions or recommendations?

You mention using a USB hub with our Macbook - not everyone has luck using a hub for audio work: dvices not talking to each other, or not enough juice coming through the hub. Just a caution.

You mention using a USB hub with our Macbook - not everyone has luck using a hub for audio work: dvices not talking to each other, or not enough juice coming through the hub. Just a caution.

And to add to that list, added latency.

Noted. I'll try to find cabling that will work directly into the USB-C port. I assume there are midi cables that have USB-C end points.

What about synth recommendations? Any suggestions?

I posted this on the synth forum, but it doesn't look like that gets much traffic. Can anyone here give me a hand?

Hey - wondering if I can get some advice...

I live in SE Asia and I tend to hop around every so often. This poses a problem when accumulating "stuff." I'd like to build a small keyboard set up where I can play with sounds and sound generation and record via Logic Pro X on my MacBook Pro 2017 model.

I have no idea what I'm doing...

The biggest problem I have is that while I could buy something like the King Korg - that particular model is too big to stuff in a bag and ship on a plane when I move somewhere else. So, I need something more compact...but I also *want* 61 keys to fiddle with.

So, what I thought about doing is buying a cheapish midi keyboard controller like the M-Audio Keystation 61 and then using a portable synth for sound generation for the controller - like maybe the Micro Korg MK-1. I'd theoretically run the controller through the synth and then to my laptop. The synth would be small enough that I could carry it to my next destination and the controller would be disposable.

First - is this even possible?
Second - I'd want something polyphonic
Third - Any equipment suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

61 keys is just long. But, if you take a keyboard controller, decent USB interface (like Audiobox that gets its power from the computer) for good output, good software with VSTi's, then you are there. Very portable, very flexible and gives you lots of options.

You could fit almost all of that in a backpack. Maybe all of it depending on how big the controller is. That is the largest piece of equipment in the list.

Well, the idea is to buy a cheap 61 key controller that I wouldn't mind throwing out if I move, and then buying a portable poly synth that I would use to create the actual sounds. The portable synth can be pricy since that would not be disposable.

I'm not sure I'm being clear...maybe it's because what I'm suggesting can't be done.

The idea is to buy two pieces of equipment:

1) Low cost 61 key midi controller (call this a disposable item - something like the M-Audio Keystation 61 - which is about $160).
2) A high quality portable synth (small, but functional - it can be a desktop synth). This can have no keyboard or just two octaves. The keyboard on this synth is not relevant.

So, I'd use the midi controller as the keyboard for the high quality synth. Everything would plug into my MacBook Pro. If I were to move to another country - the high quality synth would move with me and the mini controller would find the trash can. Can this be done and any recommendations for the portable synth? I suggested a Micro Korg MK-1 - but after reading some reviews, I'm not sure that is the best option.

Thoughts? Sorry if this is confusing.

Back