Synthesizer / Home Studio Advice

I'm not sure I'm being clear...maybe it's because what I'm suggesting can't be done.

The idea is to buy two pieces of equipment:

1) Low cost 61 key midi controller (call this a disposable item - something like the M-Audio Keystation 61 - which is about $160).
2) A high quality portable synth (small, but functional - it can be a desktop synth). This can have no keyboard or just two octaves. The keyboard on this synth is not relevant.

So, I'd use the midi controller as the keyboard for the high quality synth. Everything would plug into my MacBook Pro. If I were to move to another country - the high quality synth would move with me and the mini controller would find the trash can. Can this be done and any recommendations for the portable synth? I suggested a Micro Korg MK-1 - but after reading some reviews, I'm not sure that is the best option.

Thoughts? Sorry if this is confusing.

I think what you are looking for is a sound module. Like this:Roland JP-08 Synthesizer Module | Sweetwater

Sorry man, I finally think I got it.

Ok. Next question...

Let's say I were to buy something like that JP-08 synth along with a cheap keyboard controller like the M Audio Keystation 61. Would I need anything other than cables to connect the controller to the synth and then to my laptop?

Ok. Next question...

Let's say I were to buy something like that JP-08 synth along with a cheap keyboard controller like the M Audio Keystation 61. Would I need anything other than cables to connect the controller to the synth and then to my laptop?

Not as far as I can see, the JP-08 is said to be an 'Audio Interface' so its internal sounds will presumably go to a PC via USB. You would seem to just need a 5 pin DIN cable from Keystation to Roland and USB for both although I am sure the M-A kbd will run from a power adaptor? Never know they might even supply one! Ah! They don't (cheap b'stds!) you would need 9V at 200mA CENTRE + so beware of gash git' pedal supplies!

Dave.

Not as far as I can see, the JP-08 is said to be an 'Audio Interface' so its internal sounds will presumably go to a PC via USB. You would seem to just need a 5 pin DIN cable from Keystation to Roland and USB for both although I am sure the M-A kbd will run from a power adaptor? Never know they might even supply one! Ah! They don't (cheap b'stds!) you would need 9V at 200mA CENTRE + so beware of gash git' pedal supplies!

Dave.

Ok. Thanks for all the help!

I think you're over-complicating this. The midi controller, connected through USB, to the computer will work with ANY software package available. The degree of flexibility this offers is astounding, compared to pigeon-holing yourself with one company's solution. You can find very cheap software synths online that will do everything that JP-08 will do, and much much more. Unless you know of a need in advance for having physical buttons and knobs, go the virtual route.

I think you're over-complicating this. The midi controller, connected through USB, to the computer will work with ANY software package available. The degree of flexibility this offers is astounding, compared to pigeon-holing yourself with one company's solution. You can find very cheap software synths online that will do everything that JP-08 will do, and much much more. Unless you know of a need in advance for having physical buttons and knobs, go the virtual route.

I agree ^ (wtgrt OP) . We have an Evolution Ekeys 49 that is really what M-A copied and that came with some decent software. Much of it was aimed at the beginner learning keyboard but there was a sample program called "Picture Book" that gave really very nice percussion and piano sounds.

I remember hooking it up to an 850mHz! laptop and an M-A Fast track pro and getting very low latency with PB. Has a built in recorder to boot.

Well over 5 years on I can only assume that 61 keys jobbie comes with software AT LEAST as useful? My son (grd 8Joe) used it on a bigger PC with Cubase Ess 6 and Sonar for a couple of years running through a 2496.

Dave.

I agree, I still think this is the easiest approach.

Just occurred, there is Modartt's Pianoteq a lovely, very low resource program that give excellent piano and other instruments. There is a time limited (20 mins at a time) demo.

Dave.

There are so many ways to accomplish the same thing. You could just get a usb controller, like the M audio or others. Use it to control a sound module or synth, or you could just get the usb controller and use the sounds inside the dAW, either 3rd party software, or DAWs like Reason come with a bunch of synths that sound good, plus drum machines and samples. ON the the cheap you could get the controller, Reaper
and get something like Native Instruments Komplete 8 which also comes with some sounds. Some MPC controller come with mic inputs so you could look at that option also. You could get an audio interface that has midi I/O it'll work with your DAW software (many come with their own software), and hook up the usb controller, and still get the sound module/synth that hooks up the midi through the interface, plus you have the preamps for the mics. Of you could get real crazy and get a dedicated midi I/O to hook up anything midi like keys, drum machines etc. You'd still need an audio interface though for the microphones. Lot of options here. My personal set up one is just a couple of controllers and all sounds come from inside the computer. I use Reason, Native Instruments, and UVI, for most of my stuff. Reaper/ digital performer are the main DAWs they are all hooked up rewire with Reason. My Synths are over at the band practice location, no longer needed here at the home studio.

Back