Suggestions for a simple setup?

Dominas

Hi,I searched for previous posts that may have answered my question but I didnt find any.I just want to know all I'd need for a basic pc recording setup.Right now I'm laying some basic tracks with my mic/guitar preamp going straight into the computer inputs using Audacity software.I just want to multitrack maybe occasionally recording a few tracks at once.I want to know the pieces of equipment I would need for a decent quality sound and some brands and model suggestions would be nice.Under 200$ a piece would be the price range.Also,what is firewire?Is it simply an outboard sound processor as opposed to an internal card?Also currently when I record,the monitored volume is alot lower than what is actually being recorded but this is only on certain inputs.I'm suspecting and hoping this would be fixed with a recording soundcard.

Firewire is just system for (high speed) data transfer, somehting like USB. It is pretty fast qand you can plug into any system with a firewire port, so it is the interface preferred option these days by many. If you system does ot have a firewire port you can add a card with one for less than $30, probabaly even cheaper.

for under $200 your interface options are limited. But overall, more of the major brands have various models that scale up in price by number of simultaneous inputs, converter quality, features, etc. Poke around on the zzounds and musicians friends types of sites and do some comparisons, just to learn the brand names and some of hte terminology.

i suggest you look for a 24 bit system, but don;t get too hung up on the sampling rate, 44.1 will be fine for most home rec work. if you are looking to use microphones, you will want built in preamps, if you want to used condensers, you will need phantom power. Alternately, you can opt for dedicated preamps (on a budget the alesis dmp3 is nice, 2 channels and decent quality).

Keep looking, take your time and you will make good choice.

Daav

daav said:
just to learn the brand names and some of hte terminology.

(on a budget the alesis dmp3 is nice, 2 channels and decent quality).

Daav

just wanted to point out that the DMP3 is from M-audio....not Alesis....

Dominas said:
Hi,I searched for previous posts that may have answered my question but I didnt find any.I just want to know all I'd need for a basic pc recording setup.Right now I'm laying some basic tracks with my mic/guitar preamp going straight into the computer inputs using Audacity software.I just want to multitrack maybe occasionally recording a few tracks at once.I want to know the pieces of equipment I would need for a decent quality sound and some brands and model suggestions would be nice.Under 200$ a piece would be the price range.Also,what is firewire?Is it simply an outboard sound processor as opposed to an internal card?Also currently when I record,the monitored volume is alot lower than what is actually being recorded but this is only on certain inputs.I'm suspecting and hoping this would be fixed with a recording soundcard.

hello i'm trying to figure out how I can connect my mixer to my laptop so I can record my mixes on to cd. What radio shack told me was that all I needed was a mono rca to 1/8" mini on my laptop, can you help me out.

fatdog52: Maybe a stereo, not mono, but why can't you just burn them with your notebook?

-jeffrey

Back