Suggestions For Editing Programs?

I'm looking for an audio editing program that has a couple of features.

Mainly, I need to be able to create presets for certain EQ settings, or for fade-in, fade-out, etc. I used to use Adobe Audition (still have version 3 :-)), and I could do that.

But AA can be pretty expensive. Audacity is pretty darned amazing for the price of "free." But customizable quick menu "Favorites" I don't think can be done with Audacity.

Is there an editor that is in the middle somewhere, price-wise that folks here have experience with? AA CC is $360 per year. So something between free and $360/year that allows you to create custom presets with quick access to EQ and other actions?

Any guidance is a help. Thanks!

Ryan,

BTW, I already have AA. But several people I'm trying to help with voice-over editing are the folks I am "shopping" for :P

Reaper, free to try out, $60 to register. You can definitely do the EQ presets with ReaEQ (and all the Rea plug-ins that come with it). DOn't think you can do the fade-ins/outs, though they are easy to do in automation.

As ever (till 20th December,) look at the MAGIX Samplitude Pro X 3 package.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I'll check that out. (whoa! $400 is a bit steep for the basic functions I was looking for).

As far as Reaper goes, it's great for a DAW and does have some editing capabilities. But when you just need to manually adjust the volume of a small section, you either have to put in an automation envelope or slice it up. Applying a little EQ there, a little volume adjustment here and your audio item is swiss cheese before you know it. I typically use an external editor from within Reaper, which is what I'm looking for now.

Thanks!

Ryan

Audacity ALMOST gets me there. I can create user presets WITHIN the Effect control. But I can't access them unless i first bring up that control. What I'm looking for is the ability, as in Audition, where I can take a user preset, and make it a menu item. For example, I have a preset EQ for plosives. It's on my "Favorites" menu and I can apply that low frequency roll-off just by clicking directly on the preset menu item - without having to launch the EQ control first. And even better, I can assign keyboard shortcuts to the user presets. This allows me to be lightning fast if I need to edit a plosive - highlight it and hit ctrl-d (my own shortcut for my own EQ setting saved as a user preset).

" (whoa! $400 is a bit steep for the basic functions I was looking for)."

No, no, no! Ryan! The package is on offer for around $149 US and includes Soundforge 11 and Spectral Layers.
I shall go seek the link...<Samplitude ProX 3 Suite + Extras - $149 for only a few days!> The offer has been extended I understand but you might have to hack about/ask to find it. In < > did not go blue.

Dave.

Audacity ALMOST gets me there. I can create user presets WITHIN the Effect control. But I can't access them unless i first bring up that control...

Sorry but I fail to see why that's a problem. It's how I work and would find it more convenient than trying to remember a whole collection of specific key press combinations each devoted to just one task.

That would be OK for short audio. But when you have, say, a 20-minute voice-over project with dozens and dozens of p-pops and/or saliva clicks to edit out, having a keyboard shortcut to the exact EQ setting saves a LOT of time. I'm just wondering if there are other programs than Adobe Audition that hav this capability.

Back