stupid question from a stupid person

chrisp200

hi my name is chris and i am very new to recording and this site. I'm probably going to have countless questions in the weeks to come but for now I just want to figure out what I need to get.

I was planning to start out with the Mbox USB Interface. It seemed like a good choice to me. But if i get that would I also need a mixer such as a Eurorack to record drums so I would have mic imputs?

Yes, you would need additional pramps for however many tracks you would like to record.

If you want them track to track to your computer you would also need ADCs (analog to digital converters) for each track, too.

For the price of buying a mbox you could shop for a mixer and a very good M-audio sound interface, which will take care of all your needs. Just a suggestion, compare everything before you buy something.

chrisp200, welcome to our home here at HR.COM.

You should give us some more information......

What are you recording?

What types of music are you creating?

What type of instruments are you trying to record?

How many instuments would you like to connect simultaneously?

How many instuments would you like to record simultaneously?

What programs are you using?

Are you using a laptop or desktop?

Are you using a MAC or PC?

What are your SPECIFIC computer specs?

What are you using as "reference" monitors?

The answers to those questions should help us to provide you with the best answers and options.

Peace...

spin

The Land of Moderators, because those who wish to be mediators between two resolute thinkers are marked as mediocre: they lack eyes to see the unparalleled; seeing things as similar and making them the same is the mark of weak eyes.

I plan on recording a lot of different kinds of music as time goes on, but when i start i would like to do a lot of accustics w/ vocals. And also record full rock bands w/ guitar, bass, drums, and vocals.

When i record i thought i would just do one instrument at a time and also use a clique track? at least thats what my band did in the studio last year.

The reason I chose the MBox was because I just got out of an intro to Studio recording class and they told us the MBox was the professional standard now. they also said the rode ntk is the best microphone you can get for vocals and accustics.

As of right now im not buying anything, im trying to get enough money together and enough knowledge to do it right. I want to spend as least as possible but at the same time I want to have the best sound i possibly can get, and if that means spending more money I will.

I will be using a desktop PC that my friend is building for me. Im not sure on the specs yet.

And monitors are still up in the air...

can u help me with that information...I'm new at this so im just looking for suggestions from people who know, like yourself

thanks

What you say is not exactly what you want or do or mean. Let me tell you what I mean. I originally thought that all I wanted or needed was a Mic, a Sequencer which I already had and a multi-track recorder to do a decent demo. Call me an "idiot" but this is what I did, and not in this order take into consideration that I already had the keyboards.

Itemizing usually helps me now from spending much else unless I really need it. Looks to me, like I nickled and dimed myself to death.

My Home Recording Studio "NOW" as follows:

1. FOSTEX MR-8 multitrack recorder package:
(Included Mic, Head Phones, and Gig Bag.) $350

2. Added memory for MR-8 with 512MB CFC. $109

3. Mic Stand With Boom. $16

4. BEHRINGER UB1002 Mixer. $59

5. ZOOM RX300 MUlti-effects. $59

6. Telex EV SONICXS Electro-Voice 3-piece 2.1 Multimedia System
60 watts per channel(30 watts RMS)
(Subwoofer 60watts RMS) for computer. $49

7. Hi-Val USB CD-R/RW Burner $99

8. USB 2.0 (4 port internal) $39

9. Pop Filter $12

10. External Hard Drive 80GIG and 7200 rpm $99

11. CakeWalk Music Creator Pro $79

12. CFC Reader SanDisk $20

13. Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card $59

14. E-Machines Computer
Upgraded to 256MB Ram $400

15. KORG X-3 Workstation $1600

16. ALESIS QS-6 Keyboard $800

17. YAMAHA SY-22 Keyboard (used) $100

18. TDK DA-3826 CD Recorder (Stand Alone) $375

Total Home Studio Worth $4324

And that's not including the added cost of cables and cords. See what I mean?

THis is my idea of what should be a Basic Studio based on my needs. Your needs maybe
different and you may need just a recorder and a mic, or you may need
10 or 20x's more gear than what I have.

I got the "FEVER" or What?

Back