stupid international power adaptor question for recording equipment....

alexis

Ok, so here it is. I have a Sony Vaio laptop, brand new top of the line, with an Indigo IO soundcard, a ART Tube MP Studio V3 tube pre-amp, and a Audio Technica 3035 condensor mic. Software I will be using is Audacity. Project goals, to record a few solo acoustic guitar songs and get a decent sound. The Problem: I have recently relocated to China(temporarily) and have questions about using power adaptors; I don't want to fry my equipment. I have an adaptor that works for the laptop and the mic requires phantom power from the pre-amp. This is where I have questions. The preamp specs requires a 115 VAC and 50 Mhz to 60 Mhz using a 9V adaptor. I have found a power adaptor for my son's X Box that works, its specs are 115 VAC and 50 to 60 Mhz. The only specs for the X Box adaptor are "Output AC 100-120 V/ 200 Watts" I think I can plug the adaptor for my preamp into the adaptor I am using for the XBox, but I want to get a second and more educated opinion so that I do not destroy my equipment. Any advise or suggestions on how to figure this out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can always have a guess, but thats where it could damage the equipment. Why dont you try ringing the manufacturers up and explaining your problem? Im sure they will be able to tell you the exact voltage you need, if not be able to send you one out?

Good luck!

A couple things to look for on pwer adaptors:

amperage: most of my equipment runs 110v A/C, 60hz, 500 milli amps... you can make a 300 ml amp work, but it will get hot really fast.

polarity: you have to get an adaptor that matches your equipment there. It will either be negative at the post or positive at the post.

Back