stupid interface question.

RFR

Here's the deal.
1) I record analog and mix to dat

2) I have no daw and am pretty much ignorant of this new world

Here is my goal.

Upload to soundcloud, drop box etc. final dat mixes.

In the past i have used audacity to get stuff on my old computer using a line input. it had separate line and mic inputs

At this point I have a 5 year old laptop running windows 7 with only a mic input.

Here are the questions.

a) would that work well? (analog dat out to mic in) Sounds like extra conversion BS. digital to analog then into the computer converted to digital again

Or

b) should I get an inexpensive usb 2 channel interface to get the stuff on to the computer
Or

c) Since my mixes are on dat (digital) is it possible to get a cable to transfer it to the computer seeing how the analog to digital conversion has already been done?

I think you will be fine using the Audio Out to Line In on your sound card. Any reason you want to use Mic In? (Maybe your particular sound card detects signal level automatically.)

Internal sound cards can add noise and artifacts due to poor amps and conversion. But usually, it's not enough to be audible unless you start adding multiple tracks on top of each other. For 2 channels, you'll be fine.

If you want to do straight digital transfer, you can find an interface that has optical or coaxial connections. I don't know much about DAT's but guessing they sample at 48khz. You can probably find an old PCI card, like an EMU 0404 or M-Audio 2496 (if drivers are available)

Digital transfer would be my choice.

Thanks for responding chili.
My laptop only has mic in, whereas my old crashed desktop had separate line in AND mic in.

I worry about the quality of the soundcard, and it seems to me that interfaces are just preamps and converters. So if there was some cable that just took my already converted dat info and just dumped it into the computer, that would seem like the straightest path free of back and forth conversion.

Sorry, I'm still learning this new world.:D:D

Oh sorry. Missed the laptop part. Yeah, I'd worry about the internal sound card, too.

Look at this LITTLE GUY SPDIF inputs. Straight digital transfer. Boom, there ya go.

I would have thought there would be a S/PDIF to USB converter on the market for $30 or so but my efforts have so far failed to find one. USB TO S/PDIF abounds.

The UCA 202/222 would be fine Mark so long as the OP can control the level from the DAT? The wee Behringer is neg 10V operating level and has no controls of its own.

The cheapest solution for a digital input seems to be the Alesis iO2* . A second hand Fast Track Pro would serve as would a Tascam 144. Such an interface also has the great advantage of better D to A conversion than the PC's card and monitor and headphone control. OP might even be able to use the iO2 as a pre amp feeding the digital input of the DAT (of which make and model # please!)

*Not tried the digital I/O on mine so far but will rig something if there is an interest.

Dave.

Thanks for the responses, guys.
The dats in question are tascam DA 30 and DA 30 MKll. Both have consumer and balanced outs as well as digital out via xlr and co ax.
I was hoping for the existence of some kind of cable to go straight digital out into the computer, therefore eliminating extra conversion.
If an interface is what is needed, I'll wait till I get a better computer, and get an interface setup that can deal with 16 in and 16 out.
Since I'll be needing to transfer 16 track tape to a daw anyway, why mess around with a cheap 2 channel interface.

the cheapest, easiest thing to do what you want is the Behringer U-control. It's only $30 and that is essentially what it is...a spdif to usb adapter.

It is inexpensive.
But from looking at it, it seems to have rca analog inputs only. The spdif is only a digital output.
So we'd still be using analog outs from the dat. The berhinger would then convert it to digital, then dump it into the computer bypassing the soundcard.
Is that correct?

It is inexpensive.
But from looking at it, it seems to have rca analog inputs only. The spdif is only a digital output.
So we'd still be using analog outs from the dat. The berhinger would then convert it to digital, then dump it into the computer bypassing the soundcard.
Is that correct?

Yes but! The DAT machines are only 16bit as is the 202. You have total control of how hard you drive the Berry box and so can keep max levels at or below -6dBFS and IF you do that I can assure you that the converter is very good...Shoot! All a full blown AI consists of is much the same converter with more analogue bits bolted on and various controls to bump up the price. Do you really think the ACTUAL converters in anything under $1000 cost more than 10bucks to make?

Re hanging off buying the AI you really want because of a limp computer? It actually doesn't take much of a PC these days to run 16 basic tracks, it is the plugins and the VSTis that take the CPU cycles and the ram.

What is the specification of the present incumbent?

Dave.

My bad, I didn't notice that the spdif was only an output. There has to be something out there...

Oh sorry. Missed the laptop part. Yeah, I'd worry about the internal sound card, too.

Look at this LITTLE GUY SPDIF inputs. Straight digital transfer. Boom, there ya go.

Thanks, Chili. That looks cool......but the
Tascam Dat doesn't have spdif outputs. Only Coaxial and xlr.
Also too many inputs for just putting mixes onto the laptop for the purpose of uploading.
Thanks for posting the link though, all part of the learning process.

Yes but! The DAT machines are only 16bit as is the 202. You have total control of how hard you drive the Berry box and so can keep max levels at or below -6dBFS and IF you do that I can assure you that the converter is very good...Shoot! All a full blown AI consists of is much the same converter with more analogue bits bolted on and various controls to bump up the price. Do you really think the ACTUAL converters in anything under $1000 cost more than 10bucks to make?

Re hanging off buying the AI you really want because of a limp computer? It actually doesn't take much of a PC these days to run 16 basic tracks, it is the plugins and the VSTis that take the CPU cycles and the ram.

What is the specification of the present incumbent?

Dave.
Dave,
True that the Dat is only 16 bit, but I would bet the converters are much better than the Berhinger.

The berhinger unit MAY be fine just for the purpose of putting mixes on the computer.

They'll only be put up on SoundCloud and compressed and mp3 damaged anyway . Lol

For that purpose, I sure as hell wouldnt want to spend any real money anyway.

As to the computer in question, it is a Dell laptop with windows 7, 3.93 gigs of ram, a pentiun dual core cpu with 135 gigs of hardrive space left.

I have a board and a half inch 16 track machine. Ill be going hybrid with a rackmount computer eventually probably running protools.

For an interface, I'll need somthing that can handle 16 in 16 out in analog I/O so I can transfer my kazillion tapes onto a daw.

So anyway, thats down the road.
Right now just need a way to get my mixes uploaded so you good folks can rip em to shreds in the mp3 clinic. Lol.

That's an affirmative captain :thumbs up:
If you were doing it via line inputs to a PC's soundcard, this would be about the same and maybe a tad better.

Dave did bring up a valid point about controlling levels out of the DAT, but if you can spare the $30 it might be worth a try as interim solution until you go for the big upgrade.

If you do get one please report back as to how well it worked.
I've used the unit at work. It's fine. It's probably a step above the converters in the DAT machines he is using, since those converters are going on 20 year old tech.

Jay,
So in using it, could you tell me this please.
It has rca ins and outs. Are the outs for monitoring, and does the converted signal go to the computer via usb? Or is the usb just for powering the unit.

Because if I have to use the rca outs, I'm right where I started. Using the mini mic/ line input on the laptop.
thanks. :-)

You are correct, it's pretty much the same thing as using the line in on the laptop.

It transfers the audio through the USB to the computer. But, since it doesn't have a spdif input, there isn't any advantage to having it for your purpose.

"Dave,
True that the Dat is only 16 bit, but I would bet the converters are much better than the Berhinger."

I bet they are not. You missed my point RFR. There is only a handful of A/D-D/A chips available. It is more than likely that an M-Audio, Tascam or Alesis interface uses EXACTLY the same chip as the 202!

It is not until you move up to the stratospheric realms of RME, Prism et al that REALLY top circuitry is used and EVEN THEN it is argued by many that the improvements here are small and hard to detect and are largely due to very careful ANALOGUE design (V low noise) and of course better drivers (RME in particular are noted for their drivers).

Any bloody way! SURELY you can punt $30?? I and several others have told you that the Behringer converter is ok (likely AS good as the old DATs!).

Dave.

Sorry if I am frustrating anyone trying to help. I really do apreciate the input, and I am just learning about all this new stuff.
The analog i can understand, I grew up with it. However digital is a brand new world.
30 bucks aint nothing, thats not it. Spending money for no benefits is the issue.
So I ask questions even if they seem stupid to those familiar to the technology.
I thank you all for the input.
:-)

Sorry if I am frustrating anyone trying to help. I really do apreciate the input, and I am just learning about all this new stuff.
The analog i can understand, I grew up with it. However digital is a brand new world.
30 bucks aint nothing, thats not it. Spending money for no benefits is the issue.
So I ask questions even if they seem stupid to those familiar to the technology.
I thank you all for the input.
:-)

You WON'T be spending money for no benefit! "We's all told you it will be fine and even when you get a spanking new PC and 16 track inyerface the wee Behringer will still be handy for dubbing cassettes even vinyl* . And even IF you don't envisage doing those things and are done with the device, donate it to a school or a charity shop. As you say, what is 30bucks? Can't even get a meal and good night out on that even in the armpit of the universe that is Northampton!

*I prefer 24 bits for vinyl for technical reasons we won't go into now.

Dave.

Back