Thread: stupid interface question.

Thanks

stupid interface question.

Sign in to disable this ad
    Here's the deal.
    1) I record analog and mix to dat

2) I have no daw and am pretty much ignorant of this new world

Here is my goal.

Upload to soundcloud, drop box etc. final dat mixes.

In the past i have used audacity to get stuff on my old computer using a line input. it had separate line and mic inputs

At this point I have a 5 year old laptop running windows 7 with only a mic input.

Here are the questions.

a) would that work well? (analog dat out to mic in) Sounds like extra conversion BS. digital to analog then into the computer converted to digital again

Or

b) should I get an inexpensive usb 2 channel interface to get the stuff on to the computer
    Or

c) Since my mixes are on dat (digital) is it possible to get a cable to transfer it to the computer seeing how the analog to digital conversion has already been done?
    Why would you take my advice?? I don't even take my own advice.

Thanks
    I think you will be fine using the Audio Out to Line In on your sound card. Any reason you want to use Mic In? (Maybe your particular sound card detects signal level automatically.)

Internal sound cards can add noise and artifacts due to poor amps and conversion. But usually, it's not enough to be audible unless you start adding multiple tracks on top of each other. For 2 channels, you'll be fine.

If you want to do straight digital transfer, you can find an interface that has optical or coaxial connections. I don't know much about DAT's but guessing they sample at 48khz. You can probably find an old PCI card, like an EMU 0404 or M-Audio 2496 (if drivers are available)

Digital transfer would be my choice.

Thanks
    Thanks for responding chili.
    My laptop only has mic in, whereas my old crashed desktop had separate line in AND mic in.

I worry about the quality of the soundcard, and it seems to me that interfaces are just preamps and converters. So if there was some cable that just took my already converted dat info and just dumped it into the computer, that would seem like the straightest path free of back and forth conversion.

Sorry, I'm still learning this new world.
    Why would you take my advice?? I don't even take my own advice.

Thanks
    Oh sorry. Missed the laptop part. Yeah, I'd worry about the internal sound card, too.

Look at this LITTLE GUY SPDIF inputs. Straight digital transfer. Boom, there ya go.

Thanks
    It's a Behringer, but I've read of a few people having good luck with this.... Behringer U-Control UCA222 | Sweetwater.com
    Mark.......

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I would have thought there would be a S/PDIF to USB converter on the market for $30 or so but my efforts have so far failed to find one. USB TO S/PDIF abounds.

The UCA 202/222 would be fine Mark so long as the OP can control the level from the DAT? The wee Behringer is neg 10V operating level and has no controls of its own.

The cheapest solution for a digital input seems to be the Alesis iO2* . A second hand Fast Track Pro would serve as would a Tascam 144. Such an interface also has the great advantage of better D to A conversion than the PC's card and monitor and headphone control. OP might even be able to use the iO2 as a pre amp feeding the digital input of the DAT (of which make and model # please!)

*Not tried the digital I/O on mine so far but will rig something if there is an interest.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    A second hand Fast Track Pro would serve as would a Tascam 144.
    Dave.
    The US144mkii is actually what I've been using with my 2488NEO via S/PDIF. I think I got for about $50 used.

The wee Behringer is neg 10V operating level and has no controls of its own
    The DAT make isn't mentioned, but if it's got RCA's on the outs, it may likely be a consumer audio level outputs. The Tascam DA-20 for example appears to be specced around -6dBv on its RCA's. Behringer may not be the best solution, but is a step above the laptops soundcard and is cheap. S/PDIF would be the better way to go.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses, guys.
    The dats in question are tascam DA 30 and DA 30 MKll. Both have consumer and balanced outs as well as digital out via xlr and co ax.
    I was hoping for the existence of some kind of cable to go straight digital out into the computer, therefore eliminating extra conversion.
    If an interface is what is needed, I'll wait till I get a better computer, and get an interface setup that can deal with 16 in and 16 out.
    Since I'll be needing to transfer 16 track tape to a daw anyway, why mess around with a cheap 2 channel interface.

Thanks
    the cheapest, easiest thing to do what you want is the Behringer U-control. It's only $30 and that is essentially what it is...a spdif to usb adapter.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording and HERE!!!!

Thanks
    It is inexpensive.
    But from looking at it, it seems to have rca analog inputs only. The spdif is only a digital output.
    So we'd still be using analog outs from the dat. The berhinger would then convert it to digital, then dump it into the computer bypassing the soundcard.
    Is that correct?

Thread Information