Studio setup question.

jonbongjovi

Hi Guys,

So i've finally got enough room to dedicate a room to a studio.

I've got a couple samplers a couples synths and a multi-fx box.

I would like ideally to record these all at once with the option of routing
into my DAW (ableton) so i can use the hardware alongside VST effects/synths.

I do have an avg mixer wharfdale R1604 - 4 XLR - 4 stereo inputs, 4 band EQ

The main issue i suppose is my interface (Komplete 6) it has 2x inputs with preamps
and 2x without. I did notice before that i was getting very quiet inputs from those.

I guess my question is do i even need the mixer or should i just plug everthing into
an interface? I would like the option to do everything without the computer having to
be switched on though.

I'm a little confused as to my options and what would be the optimal setup.

Cheers,

Jon

"Quiet input" - what levels are you seeing? For digital recording, input levels at -18dB to -12dB are more than adequate.

I don't see the mixer adding anything to your set up unless you like it's mic preamps better than the Komplete's. Or if you want to plug more instruments in so you don't have to swap audio cables when recording different instruments.
Note that with audio inputs, you can only get 4 channels/tracks recorded simultaneously. The Komplete also has a SPDIF stereo input (tha'ts the 5th and 6th channels) and MIDI.

thanks for the feedback, the idea with the mixer was that i could plug every thing in and then just have the mixer outputs going into the 2 x Komplete preamps. I could then use the EFX sends on the mixers to send to the DP/4.

my hardware is

-nord rack
-ESQ-1
-EPS16+
-Yamaha A4000
-DP/4
-SM57 mic

So altogether too many outs for the sound card. I suppose i could get around it by chaining i.e. running through the dp/4 and A4000 but then its a hassle to configure every time to set it to thru.

Regarding the quiet inputs I'm not sure why as the level coming from the mixer should be comfortably over -18db.

basically i kind of want a hybrid hardware/software setup so it looks like my current sound card might not be up to it.

Oh! I am sure your "soundcard"/interface is up to it Jon! You will be hard pressed to find a better performer than the KA6, IF 4 inputs will do you that is!

That Wharfedale mixer looks a cut above most of them? I in fact have a wee w'dale 16-2 mixer that has done stirling service as a "monitor controller to my 3 2496 soundcards and anything else I care to plug in.

The pre amps on the KA6 do not, it is true have massive gain but I have used them flat out with an SM57 on acoustic guitar (about a foot away) and got very decent results. Modulation around -20dBFS and a noise floor better than -73dBFS and that is the room!

But! I have actually found a schematic for that mixer and the mic preamps look rather sophisticated (2 bipolars and 2 ICs) so they MIGHT be better than those on the AI? You could plug the mixer into the line inputs on the KA and run the 4 outputs back to the mixer and treat the AI as simply a soundcard.

Not sure what exactly you want to achieve but you can play with all sorts of connection combinations. nothing will burn! You MIGHT get screaming feedback but just keep output faders down at start and increase slowly.

Not sure you understand gain staging and digital levels? No matter, have a play and come back for further erudition.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, you are absolutely correct about my lack of understanding around gain staging/digital levels, and for me it certainly doesn't stop there wrg to making and recording music.

I'll fiddle about w some routing I think maybe my best bet will be to run the mixer into the 2x front line inputs (with the samplers/fx/mic plugged into it) as you say then maybe just plug the 2 synths direct into the 3 and 4 so i can put VSTs on all 4 inputs in ableton.

Cheers,
Jon

Thanks Dave, you are absolutely correct about my lack of understanding around gain staging/digital levels, and for me it certainly doesn't stop there wrg to making and recording music.

I'll fiddle about w some routing I think maybe my best bet will be to run the mixer into the 2x front line inputs (with the samplers/fx/mic plugged into it) as you say then maybe just plug the 2 synths direct into the 3 and 4 so i can put VSTs on all 4 inputs in ableton.

Cheers,
Jon

Ok Jon, whatever floats your canoe! My take would be to plug the mixer outputs into the 3/4 line inputs of the KA6 and use the mixer as a "collection point" for all the instruments? This still leaves you the two mic inputs on the KA6 .

Do you have a user manual for the mixer and if so, does it contain a block diagram of the signal path? (most do) I don't have that in the schematic and I would very much like to see it.

Dave.

I'd just get saving for a new interface with more I/o. In fact... In a similar position and am currently saving for a new interface.

Back