Studio Set Up

Nails

I'm sure this has been asked 100s upon 100s of times, but I can't find the answer I'm looking for in reading all of the past posts. With that out of the way here we go:

I'm wanting to set up a recording stuido (home based at first, but hopefully upgrade to a professional set up in a few years) and I need to know what I need to do this. I'm going to get a Mac G4, and Digidesign Digi-001, but I don't know what else I need. Do I need an analog device (something like a 24 track reel to reel?) to record on originally, then get something like MOTU's MKII to transfer my recordings from analog to digital? Or could I bypass this with a digital mixer (maybe something like the Roland VM-7000 Series V-Mixing System?) running into my computer? Would I still need the MKII with the digital mixer?

I really just want to use Protools to mix and edit my music, so the ability to directly record into the G4 isn't that big a deal right now, but having the ability to do that wouldn't be that bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Nails

If you have already decided on the G4 and the 001, start with just that. There are far worse setups you could have to begin with. Once you learn how to use that and get the most out of it, then you should see what else you need based on whatever you are ultimately trying to do.

You can go right into the Digi001 with mics and instruments and record in Protools without any additional equipment.

You could always record everything onto a reel to reel, then mix it down onto your computer and edit what you want. That would be the best thing to do.

It would? Why? To me, that seems like going over the river for water? why not record it directly to the computer?

I know what you're getting at El Barto, but Regebro's right. Unless you have a 2" machine, you'd be much better off going direct to the computer.

So you guys are saying I don't need a 2" or anything else aside from the Mac and Protools?

If that's the case how many tracks could I record at once with 001? I want to be able to do at least 4 at once, but that's just a bare minimum. One idea I've had is to mic, let's say a drum kit with 5 mics, running each on into a mixer I all ready have into the MOTU 2408 into the Mac, and record with Pro Tools. Or is the mixer I step I can avoid?

Thanks for your help thus far.

Back