Studio Monitors: Is it worth buying used??

McK

I have come down to a couple options as far as getting some studio monitors. I can either stay risk-free and buy some low-end m-audios (Either Av Studiophiles or BX5) or I can buy some Event PS8 monitors off a local ad for just a little extra. The used monitors are said to be perfectly working and the only damage specified is a very small torn hole in the speaker foam near the center. My question is: Is it worth the risk to buy these nicer monitors used? I know monitors aren't something that usually is moved around a lot. I just don't want to get the cheaper monitors when I could spend the extra and get something more quality. And if I were to get them and something ends up wrong after a while, how easy are they to repair?

I have never bought new monitors myself. I would always test them before exchanging money tho.

IMO don't buy anything with torn speakers.

If there is a speaker with a hole in it i might be inclined to 'keep looking' I think the hassle of looking for, and reparing the damaged speaker when looked at in a Dollar/Hr investment on your life you could have spent that time money in a better fashion.

That's Just me. Maybe?

I was in the same predicament as you a couple years ago and i was fortunate enough to find a store that had all models of monitors on display. And even though i my heart set on the Maudio BX5's once i heard them in an A/B set up against some KRK Rokkit 5's it was a no-brainer. I spent a little extra but it was way better.

I would keep looking around friend. And when you are looking it is, from my experience, best to actually HEAR them in use before spending. It is in fact a big expense for most of us so make the best decision based on your ears. Not what the internet says or youtube reviewers. Those are decent resoruces. But definitely not what i would consider gospel.

Best of Luck.

The Event monitors are $140 for the pair which is really kind of my ideal price... My other consideration was either the BX5's or KRK Rokit 5's (of course I'd do sound comparison. The problem is those would have to be bought used and shipped and from what I've heard getting them shipped is risky. From what I've seen, the small hole on the speaker is an easy repair, I'm no expert though obviously.

The Event monitors are $140 for the pair which is really kind of my ideal price... My other consideration was either the BX5's or KRK Rokit 5's (of course I'd do sound comparison. The problem is those would have to be bought used and shipped and from what I've heard getting them shipped is risky. From what I've seen, the small hole on the speaker is an easy repair, I'm no expert though obviously.

I'd still be iffy on the damaged speaker. It just wouldn't be worth it to me. At all.

I would say if you think it is worth the savings, call a professional or someone who could reliably repair the monitor and restore it to it's prime operational performance of accurately providing your audio to you ears, weigh the costs of that and see where it sits in terms of buying new out of the box monitors. If you come in less than a new set of good ones then good. You got a deal and i'd say go for it. If not, then, keep looking.

Or if your mind is made up on used monitors look for some that are not already damaged.

Think of it this way, A damaged Lamborghini, no matter how good of deal you get on it is still a damaged inoperable Lamborghini that won't ever be worth or work as good as a undamaged Lamborghini.

When you say torn foam, do you mean just the outer foam cover or the speaker cone itself? If just the cover I wouldn't worry too much--most people run without any covers anyway--but if it's the speaker, then walk away.

On the general principle, there's nothing at all wrong with older/used speakers as long as they work properly. My main monitors date from the early 1980s and still sound better (to me) than lots of modern stuff.

Used speakers are already broken in for you. Just make sure they aren't plain broken :eek:

Until just over a month ago I've been using a 20+ year old pair of B&W HiFi speakers and a Cambridge amp for the last 3 years.
I used to (part) own (long story) a pair of Tannoy Reveals so unfortunately I knew what I'd been missing.

My advice would be to not settle when it comes to monitors... Get the best you can and if you don't think the best you can will cut it then keep saving until the best you can will.

I spent 2 hours in store listening to several pairs of monitors. I'm very glad I spent that time and very happy with the pair I came away with (HS7's).

I wouldn't buy used monitors... Both my mics are (cheap) used but monitors... No.

Back