Studio Monitors

kcbluegal

OK bear with me if this has been answered before. I tried muddling through posts and it just wasn't helping. Also, I'm posting this in the Newbie Forum because I'm a Newbie to recording and need to be spoken to like one.. ;)

My husband wants Studio Monitors and I remember him mentioning "Alesis". I want to surprise him and purchase a set. Now... are there different types or models of Alesis? I mean, like if somebody says "oh Dodge makes the best cars", you still wouldn't know which model to get without research, KWIM?

SO... my first question is which model (if there is such a thing with studio monitors), price being no object? If it helps any, I don't know where any equipment stores are around me except for MARS.

Also, am I loony or did somebody awhile ago say that Alesis really aren't that great? Should I be thinking about a different brand all together? Or is it one of those opinion things?

Thanks for any information you guys can help me out with.

If your husband is into Alesis, he probably is basing his opinion on the monitor ones that were one of the first decent, well priced, entry level mons a few years back. You are right, you have heard that they aren't a great choice. A better choice would be (in the same price range) Yorkville ysm1, Tannoy Proto J, (havent used, but hear good things about M Audio Studiophiles.) If that is the case and he is basing his opinion on things that aren't quite cutting edge, he'll be very happy (and would regardless) with some Event 20/20's or some PS5 or PS's.

Pete

Don't get Alesis...

Do you know if he already has an amplifier that he plans to use with the monitors?

(this is a pretty important point, as monitors come in 2 VERY different categories, powered/non-powered aka active/passive.)

If you're going the active/powered route, I'll add the JBL LSR 25P to the recommended list.

Queue

Whatever you do,DO NOT GET MONITOR ONES!They blow bigtime. The only good monitor IMO that alesis ever made is the point seven,which is what I am using.I believe they are out of production now.
If I were going to buy a pair today,and didn't already have a power amp,I would go with the jbl lsr 25p powered monitors.I have been working with a friend who has a set at his place and have put them on my "must have" list.

Good luck!

Hi neighbor; I looks as so you are in the KC area. Go to the Musicians friend Clearence center on front and universal. there you will find event 20/20s for under 200 a pair, soundcraft spirits for 140.00 a pair. KRK rockets for 100.00 a pair. Hafler M5s for 100.00 a pair.

Happy shopping;
Wayne.

Hey Darrin...
What is the clearance center all about? Is it damaged, returns, used? Those are some good prices...
I am drooling again...

Pete

Blems Returns what ever, Its a techs paridise. And Im a tech. Alot of the stuff is broken but thats just about 10%. This is the cheapest location to ship from because of the center of the us is KC.

Hell Ive Bought a 5 string accoustic bass there this week for 69.00. A hammer action piano for 79.00. an electric 5 string for 54.00.

Hell I could go for a long time with all of the purchases Ive made for pennies on the dollar.

I have to second the motion for Yorkville YSM1.
After a few weeks of searching this forum and many on-line reviews, I decided on Yorkville. Find out for yourself at: www.yorkville.com/default.asp?section=3&level2=14&level3=
Click on "YSM Studio Monitors" and make a choice from the "SELECT MODEL" menu.
Do yourself a favor and check out KRK K-RoKs, Behringer Truth B2031s, Event 20/20s, Event PS6s and PS8s, and Tannoy Reveals as well. You will need to know whether your husband need passive or active monitors (un-powered or powered, respectively).

What is your price range?

Like most things, everything has it's price. It would be easier to recommend a product if we knew the max you were willing to spend on it. Monitors range from under $100 US to more than a luxury car (several thousand $).

My recommendation would be to say to him, this is what we have to spend so let's go out and buy you a pair of studio monitors that you have been wanting. This way, it gives him a price range, and it also allows him to demo the speakers himself since he is going to be the one mixing on them.

The nice points about this are, he knows what he is looking for, and you set the limit on what is a reasonable price. If I was having monitors purchased for me, this is the way i would want it done.

Dick

What is your price range?

Like most things, everything has it's price. It would be easier to recommend a product if we knew the max you were willing to spend on it. Monitors range from under $100 US to more than a luxury car (several thousand $).

My recommendation would be to say to him, this is what we have to spend so let's go out and buy you a pair of studio monitors that you have been wanting. This way, it gives him a price range, and it also allows him to demo the speakers himself since he is going to be the one mixing on them.

The nice points about this are, he knows what he is looking for, and you set the limit on what is a reasonable price. If I was having monitors purchased for me, this is the way i would want it done.

Dick

Re: What is your price range?

Evildick said:
It would be easier to recommend a product if we knew the max you were willing to spend on it.

Well price really isn't an object for me. I want the best for him. If you insist on tacking a price, I'd say $1000 off the top of my head. :)

Re: Re: What is your price range?

kcbluegal said:

Well price really isn't an object for me. I want the best for him.
Then you want the Meyer HD-1s... a steal at only $5000+/pair!!! ;)
:D :D

Look at Tannoy Active Reveals, JBL LSR25s, KRK V8s, Event 20/20s -- all will serve you well.........

Bruce

Kcbluegal - I'd be very careful buying something as important as monitors without your husbands input. I know it would be cool to surprise him but if you get it wrong it could be a fright! :eek:

cheers
john

May be little more than you want

I would recommend the Mackie HR824's since I believe they are the best bang for the buck. Granted they will run you anywhere from $1200 to $1400 for a pair but once you he hears them, it's money well spent. These are also active speakers so there is no need to purchase an amp to power them.

You can check out www.prorec.com in there archives section. There is a great article there titled "10 Powered Nearfield Monitors". It's a good read and offers options in various price ranges. Good Luck.

Dick

Back